650L rack - need more weight

8 replies to this topic
  • XR650LKJP

Posted July 08, 2004 - 05:05 PM

I am looking for a rack for the rear fender on my L. I have seen the one at BD but are there any others. I just want something to attach my sleeping bag/ tent to. Thanks.

• jlpskydive

Posted July 09, 2004 - 01:54 AM

This one looks pretty nice. Haven't tried it though.

http://www.mcenterpr..._searchForm.cfm

Type in part # 10-50-09 in the keyword search. It retails for $81, and nothing on the bike needs to be moved/removed. They will state last fitting was performed on a '99 L, but they haven't changed through '04.

May be slightly heavier than the aluminum alternatives, but would be stronger, and is definitely cheaper. Seems like the better choice if you aren't a welder/fabricator.

This was taken from a post I saw before. :thumbsup:

• XR650LKJP

Posted July 09, 2004 - 05:10 AM

Thanks, this one is more in my price range.

• Clumster

Posted July 09, 2004 - 05:27 AM

I have this rack at home. I have an FMF 'Q' exhaust slip on. The rack assumes stock exhaust. The brackets won't clear the FMF :devil:. You may want to call and ask about it if you have an aftermarket exhaust.

Just FYI.....

Cheers! :thumbsup:
Mike in KC

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR650L_Dave

Posted July 09, 2004 - 07:31 AM

Not sure how much weight you can put on there- some serious luggers have broken the fender support subframe by loading up too much.

• XR650LKJP

Posted July 09, 2004 - 12:46 PM

Good advice. I just ordered the Big Gun Quiet and will check clearance first.

• XR650LKJP

Posted July 10, 2004 - 11:32 AM

I don't plan on more than 10-15# on the rack.

• murgatroid42

Posted August 21, 2004 - 10:33 PM

I bought one of those racks for my XR650L. The price was right. It doesn't fit exactly right, it's slightly off when installed, and needed some juggling to install. I mention this because someone else on another forum complained about it, and he was right. But it works, and it's only $80. Get lockwashers, because my screws vibrated loose after a long trip.

Get one of those $5 plastic folder crates from Wal-Mart that look like milk crates. Cut off the sides (maybe), then tie it to the rack. Or, better yet, go to OfficeMax and get a metal office stationary rack. Cut off the legs, and then place this on the bike rack. Put the bottom part of that plastic crate on top, and now you have a 11 x 14 area to tie a sleeping bag on the back.

If you want to see my loaded bike, go to advrider, post 19 in this thread. I rode 1500 mi. in 7 days, including at least 300 mi. of easy dirt.

• JaminJimmy

Posted September 03, 2004 - 12:36 PM

Check the post I have in the for sale section "XR650L Parts". I have a rack (that fit even when I installed my Yosh pipe) plus some other goodies. All very reasonably priced. :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.