motorcycle trivia

376 replies to this topic
  • RoosterJ

Posted July 26, 2004 - 07:42 AM

The Cat (el gato) !!! sounded like a fun bike.. How about those alsport steens??? the noise they used to make is unforgettable...I been down in the resorts of mexico a few times, they got a bike over there i have dubbed the mexican motorcycle, makes the most hedeous sound come down the road, and it seems no one can ride en on the pipe. What bike is this??? The Z-1s layed the foundaion for the croch rocket as we know it today!!!
Rosterj
Ridable bikes
00 turbo-prostreet custom 96inch big twin
99 kx500 almost the works
77 yz 400 evo racer
01 klr 650
00 indian chief bobber

• Maddog542

Posted July 26, 2004 - 07:55 AM

Thanks Burned. Check this rig out fellas. :thumbsup:
The Muskin Corp. is introducing El Gato, a thoroughly tested all-family midi-cycle. Powered by an 80cc Fuji two-stroke, single-cylinder engine, the bike delivers 6.6 hp, has a four-speed, constant-mesh transmission and curb weight of 125 pounds. Well balanced on a 44-inch wheelbase, El Gato's overall length is 67 inches with seat height of 27 inches. The 3.00 x 16 knobby tires give maximum traction. The machine's seat-tank combination is finished in chrome yellow. Leading link front and swing arm rear suspension, front and rear internal expanding 105mm brakes, noise emission-approved spark arrester exhaust, flexible fenders and folding footpegs complete the package.

Posted Image

• stk0308

Posted July 26, 2004 - 08:32 AM

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What company made the worlds first turbocharged production motorcycle?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe that was Kawasaki in about 1983.

close but your off about 5 years.your thinking of the 83 gpz750 turbo.

the 78 z1r tc was the first produciton turbo bike.

Good GOD! Was it really that long ago? Yikes!

All this Hodaka talk I gotta say, let's hear it for The Combat Wombat!(I just love that name :thumbsup: )

• Eddie Sisneros

Posted July 26, 2004 - 09:03 AM

Thanks Burned. Check this rig out fellas. :thumbsup:
The Muskin Corp. is introducing El Gato, a thoroughly tested all-family midi-cycle. Powered by an 80cc Fuji two-stroke, single-cylinder engine, the bike delivers 6.6 hp, has a four-speed, constant-mesh transmission and curb weight of 125 pounds. Well balanced on a 44-inch wheelbase, El Gato's overall length is 67 inches with seat height of 27 inches. The 3.00 x 16 knobby tires give maximum traction. The machine's seat-tank combination is finished in chrome yellow. Leading link front and swing arm rear suspension, front and rear internal expanding 105mm brakes, noise emission-approved spark arrester exhaust, flexible fenders and folding footpegs complete the package.

Posted Image

thats the exact same bike as a chapparal.fuji motors powered lots of little bikes inlcuding hodakas.

• RoosterJ

Posted July 26, 2004 - 03:43 PM

Lookout behind ya im coming on, ( could have been the visor vue sales slogan) Unlike Supermoto this first form of racing dirt bikes on dirt and street was called ? :thumbsup:

• RoosterJ

Posted July 26, 2004 - 04:23 PM

Wasnt one of these old turbo charged Z1s ridden by goose on Mad Max? Exept it might have had a tracy body? :thumbsup:

• YZ250F49

Posted July 26, 2004 - 04:29 PM

Unlike Supermoto this first form of racing dirt bikes on dirt and street was called ?

It was something like "ABC's Battle of the Superbikers" or something like that.

• Eddie Sisneros

Posted July 26, 2004 - 04:32 PM

Wasnt one of these old turbo charged Z1s ridden by goose on Mad Max? Exept it might have had a tracy body? :thumbsup:

ithink there was a plain z1r.a tracy body was there for sure.maybe a rickman kaw.

• RoosterJ

Posted July 26, 2004 - 05:00 PM

O.K. so no turbo for goose. Rickman kaw ? OCCs Cody is building a chrome bike on tv he rides up to the shop after school on what? Yamaha has a two wheel drive wr 450 this year designed by wheelie king true or false ? :thumbsup:

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted July 26, 2004 - 10:50 PM

Any takers on the 'IT' Yamaha

sorry,missed that one before.1980 IT 425 and 465.

1980 was the right year, but the one year only 'IT's were the IT125G, and you were right about the other one being the IT425G. I had a YZ125 fitted (crudely :thumbsup:) with an IT425G engine. That thing was a weapon, at least when bits didn't vibrate off :devil: :awww: :D :lol:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chris_from_Oz

Posted July 26, 2004 - 10:59 PM

What important change/s were made to the Harley Davidson (big-twin) in 1948?, 1949?, 1958?, 1965? Also, (this one's easy) what year did the original (Springfield) Indians cease to exist as a motorcycle (sorry, Motocycle) company? What year did Indian start? What year did Harley start? What year did Yamaha release two odd sized 'IT' model enduro bikes? What company made the worlds first turbocharged production motorcycle? BBL. :devil:

1948 the Panhead was introduced. 1949, I believe they introduced conventional forks on the FL. 1958, the Duo-Glide was introduced with rear shocks. 1965 was the last year Pan...but first year Electra Glide with an electric starter. Indian did cease production in 1953 after producing motorcycles since 1901. H-D was founded 2 years later in 1903. I'm going to say that the IT oddballs were introduced in 1979, although I'm not 100% on it It was a 175 and a 425.

Maddog, you pretty much scooped the pool there. :thumbsup: 1948 was first year Panhead, last year Springer front end. 1949 was first year Hydra-Glide (hydraulic forks). 1958 first year Duo-Glide, both front and rear suspension, and as you said, 1965 was the last year Panhead, first year electric start. :awww: All except the IT Yamaha one. The year was 1980, and the sizes were 125 and 425.

• RoosterJ

Posted July 27, 2004 - 02:48 AM

Well i missed all the questions i was asked. How about more?? Didnt they film Mad max in the land of taz ? were hodakas made in the land of taz? What did Poncho Vills and Harley Davidson have in common?? What bike did harley sell with dual carbs?? What bike did Willie G Build design that brought the co . out of the hole. They got new o5 fat boys special models, limited prod. (500) only for $32,000.00 each. How many ya need?? :thumbsup:

• Bultaco206

Posted July 27, 2004 - 02:55 AM

were hodakas made in the land of taz? :devil:

Uh, no. Oregon. :thumbsup:

• RoosterJ

Posted July 27, 2004 - 03:37 AM

Oregan o.k. Seems like every film from over there always had a lot of these bike in them. Do they all use the fuji motor/ How about a carrabella bike from mexico? Where was he birthed? Also Bob Hannah got to ride on Rogers test track in europe, What was the soil?? See your smarter than me. :thumbsup:

• Eddie Sisneros

Posted July 27, 2004 - 03:39 AM

O.K. so no turbo for goose. Rickman kaw ?

http://w1.401.telia....41/rickman.html
was aftermarket chassis that used z1 motor in this case.ive seen them with sohc 750 honda also.

OCCs Cody is building a chrome bike on tv he rides up to the shop after school on what?

cr 125

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted July 27, 2004 - 04:13 AM

Well i missed all the questions i was asked. How about more?? Didnt they film Mad max in the land of taz ? were hodakas made in the land of taz? What did Poncho Vills and Harley Davidson have in common?? What bike did harley sell with dual carbs?? What bike did Willie G Build design that brought the co . out of the hole. They got new o5 fat boys special models, limited prod. (500) only for $32,000.00 each. How many ya need?? :devil:

Mad Max was made in Australia, mostly in Broken Hill, but a few scenes from Mad Max (the first of the series) were filmed about 5 minutes drive from my house. When those scenes were filmed (the Interceptor crashing through the caravan etc), there wasn't much of anything out that way. Now it is all mostly new industrial estates. :thumbsup: Harleys dual carb' production bike would be the XR1000. The bike that Willy G designed (on a paper napkin in a diner, so the story goes...) was the 1971 SuperGlide. Basically it was an FLH type chassis, with a Sportster front end and fibreglass (one year only, and now highly collectible) rear section, dubbed the 'boat tail. If you look at earlier versions of the first year SuperGlide, you will see that the front and rear rim types are different. This is because of the rear wheel being designed for the FL series bikes, and the front wheel being straight off the Sportster. Later versions of the same model year had matching rims. :lol: As for the '05 FatBoys ($32,000 :awww:), you must mean the CVO limited run Harleys. They come from the factory fully optioned, with big-bore kit, custom wheels, acres of chrome etc. The CVO's have been around since '02. Personally, the ones I have seen/ridden are not very impressive. The desired market for those high $$$ bikes are the yuppies with money to burn. There is one Screamin' Eagle CVO part I have on my Softail, the derby cover. That is one small part on an entire bike that I liked enough to want to buy, until I found out that the catologue price is AU$444.00 :D I scored a brand new dealer take-off on eBay for AU$52.00 landed at my front door. Now, the Pancho Villa question, i'm really clutching at straws here, but Pancho became an outlaw, and HD have a bit of an outlaw image...... like I said i'm clutching at straws, I have no idea. :lol:

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted July 27, 2004 - 04:33 AM

What Harley (1977-'78) was built to try and take on the Japanese bikes, mainly as a styling exercise, but due to the lack of power, failed miserably? Collectible now though. Also what early '80's Harley ran the first rear belt drive instead of a chain, but also ran a belt primary drive set-up standard? The bike was named after a famous annual get together for HD enthusiasts....

• RoosterJ

Posted July 27, 2004 - 04:38 AM

Your a wealth of information.. do you have the BIG BOOK ON H-D ?? I think thier should be a lot of old Z1s in kangroo country. Back in the day President Wilson got H-D involved in trying to catch the outlaw Villa. They sent down bikes but didnt catch him. :thumbsup:

• RoosterJ

Posted July 27, 2004 - 04:47 AM

1. XLCR 2. Stugis model
Actually i think the low rider was Wllie gs clam to fame. The boat tail night train was one his first customs after relizing these things are rolling art work. :thumbsup:

• jwriott

Posted July 27, 2004 - 04:48 AM

Harley XR1000, supposed to be a spinoff of the XR750. Not sure on the other questions.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.