FORK REBOUND DAMPING

3 replies to this topic
  • john_pearce

Posted June 06, 2001 - 06:49 AM

HI ALL
I'M A BIT LOST AS TO WHERE MY REBOUND DAMPING
IS ON MY FORKS.
THE MANUAL STATES THAT RANGE OF ADJUSTMENT IS
20 CLICKS FROM FULLY WOUND IN . BUT I FOUND THAT THE ADJUSTER SCREW TURNS DOWN QUITE A WAY . REALLY QUITE TIGHT BUT WITH NO CONVINCING STOP TO THE SCREW ( SO WHERE IS THE BOTTOM ).I FOUND THAT BY FULLY WINDING OUT THE SCREW IT COMES TO A DEFINATE ABRUPT
STOP , SO YOU KNOW ITS FULLY WOUND OUT.
CAN ANYBODY PLEASE TELL ME FROM THIS FULLY WOUND OUT POSITION , HOW MANY CLICKS I HAVE TO DO IN ORDER TO REACH THE STANDARD SETTING.

MY BIKE IS A EUROPEAN SPEC BIKE AS I LIVE
IN THE UK.I KNOW THE SETTINGS DIFFER FROM YOUR US BIKES.
YOUR HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED . GREAT FORUM
THIS.

JOHN
HAMPSHIRE , ENGLAND

• John_H

Posted June 06, 2001 - 08:26 AM

John,
My rebound adjuster screws turn 21 clicks out from fully turned in position (Maximum damping). I found a similar thing where the screw gets tighter but doesn't just stop when screwed clockwise. The manual notes a difference for European models on the fork rebound damping with your standard position being 12 clicks out from maximum instead of 8. Don't know if the total number of clicks is different though. I just turned mine in until they felt snug and then started backing them out to where I wanted them. I then check each one to see how many more clicks out they would go and they both ended up with the same amount of total clicks out.
John Hamilton

[This message has been edited by John H (edited 06-06-2001).]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Greg_C

Posted June 06, 2001 - 09:08 PM

I could also use some advice on setting up the front end. I have been afraid to mess with it too much for fear of getting it too far out of whack and having to take it to someone. My problem is that it wants to bounce out of bumps instead of soaking them up. The front wheel is actually coming off the ground out of bumps. Any advice would be appreciated.

• MN_Kevin

Posted June 06, 2001 - 09:26 PM

Greg,
Several suspension websights have tuning guides you are free to look at. This may be the best thing for you. May not what you want to hear, but explaining it all, which I just tried but deleted, can be time consuming. You can play with clicker settings, spring rates, oil viscosity, and oil level. Obviously you do start with clickers and go on from there.

------------------
'99 WZ/YR (you choose!) with ALL YZ mods, de-octopused, DSP Doug Henry airbox w/ velocity stack, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, forked over by Pro-Action (and then fixed by me), OEM YZ tank, IMS YZ seat, carb mods by Jim Dean, Andy in OZ, & Sir "Taffy" from Jolly Old England, AMA, NESC, and I use MOBIL 1 Oil, with ZERO problems.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.