How do you carry extra fuel?

4 replies to this topic
  • Smegol

Posted July 07, 2004 - 08:32 PM

Hey, once aain im in need of advice. Im planning on doing a ride in a few weeks called The 42nd Traverse. Basically its a long fast trail thats 46km each way in the Tongariro National Park, which descends 910m into a volcanic basin. So with a stock tank I can manage around 50km, which leaves another 40 to go. I was thinking I could strap a 4 litre juice bottle full of gas to the front of the number plate and carry a smaller bottle in my back pack (don't like that idea very much). So how do you guys carry your extra gas? Also will the 960m elevation drop (~3000ft) have much of an effect on the way the bike runs?

• Husky_Forever

Posted July 07, 2004 - 09:23 PM

Acerbis Number plate Fuel tank. Mounts on front of triple clamps. Two sizes. 1.2 gallons and 1.8 gallons I belive. Or carry fuel on your waist. 1 gallon Prestone anti-frezze plastic bottles work. Just tape bottoms up 5 inches with duc tape to ward off thorns. Pour as soon as possible.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed

Posted July 07, 2004 - 09:36 PM

y not get a desert take so that you can go further before needing to refuel?

• Smegol

Posted July 07, 2004 - 10:45 PM

y not get a desert take so that you can go further before needing to refuel?

I'd love to have another tank if I had enough cash but because I usually ride MX, or short trails under 50km, I don't see the need to spend $600 on a desert tank besides all money is being saved to go towards a new 250F.

• Sean_McCutcheon

Posted July 08, 2004 - 01:38 AM

I just use 20oz pop bottles and then duct tape them around my front fender. Never had a problem except for one time when we didn't put enough duct tape and we lost it.

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  57 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.