Starting a 426....for us short guys

11 replies to this topic
  • JPEracing

Posted July 30, 2002 - 02:29 PM

Picked up the new 426 last weekend. The dealer was amusing trying to start the beast without following the "drill". I`ll bet he is still limping on that sore foot !!
Anyways, having owned old BSA B50MX for about 30 years now the 426 starting drill is natural.
Only problem is that I am only about 5'6" in height. The 426 is damm tall. Using the old milk crate to stand on when starting trick is working well. But strapping a crate onto the rear fender just isnt gonna work.
How do you guys balance and start ?????

• SMP

Posted July 30, 2002 - 03:16 PM

BBR makes a shorter kick starter for the 426, which should help a little. Also try trimming out some of the seat foam.

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted July 30, 2002 - 03:55 PM

A kickstand might help, but I don't know if they're allowed on an MX track.

• Slymax

Posted July 30, 2002 - 06:09 PM

Sometimes I push my bike, jump on, whip out the kickstart with my toe and fire her up, I've done it lot's, it works pretty good. I can start my bike 1 kick 99% of the time, so the other thing that works for me is just letting the kick start return half or so, instead of a full stroke. I find it a lot easier to balance when I don't let the kickstart all the way up. I'm hoping the 450 will be a little lower, if not I'm gonna try trimming the foam on the seat.

• Ridin'_MD

Posted July 30, 2002 - 06:51 PM

Buy an '03 WR,put on YZ plastic..... push little button. No problem. :)

• moto_madman

Posted July 30, 2002 - 07:12 PM

I look for some high point to put my left foot on. Can you kick left footed? Im not sure if this will help but i used to stand next to my old cr with it leaning toward me and kick it left footed. That was when i was really short. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Shawn_Mc

Posted July 31, 2002 - 08:30 AM

I had an 82 CR250 that had the kicker on the left side. I had to learn to kick it standing on the ground. Maybe that will work for ya.

• yzrider

Posted July 31, 2002 - 08:41 AM

Lean the bike up against something, stand up on the pegs, and give it hell.

• CJ_Baran

Posted July 31, 2002 - 08:56 AM

You could put these on the soles of your riding boots to help give you a boost!

Posted Image

These would look great on a pair of Tech 8's!! :)

• Yak

Posted July 31, 2002 - 11:24 AM

You could also buy a kickstand and put it down when starting. It would have to be a sturdy one. The ProMotoBillet one looks nice and hides away nicely. Just an idea. Im 5'7" and I just gave the seat a little shave. If you trail ride/single track alot then it helps a bunch.

• Dolce_Grappa

Posted July 31, 2002 - 09:23 PM

Stupid ??,did u set the sag?
I run 100mm

97 kx 500
02 yz426
93 pw-50
92 zx7r
91 cr80
78 cb400

• BEAR

Posted August 01, 2002 - 12:11 AM

Originally posted by CJ_Baran:
You could put these on the soles of your riding boots to help give you a boost!

Posted Image

These would look great on a pair of Tech 8's!! :)

Yeah , that will work great as long as Gene Simmons don't mind you borrowing his boots.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.