650 L switch to kick start. possible?

7 replies to this topic
  • hagen505

Posted July 07, 2004 - 04:31 PM

Here is a question that I ahve been tossing around. I have the L. and it seems to me that the 600xr and my bike have a lot in common such as the frame, engine case, seat, tank, etc. It seems to me that if I were able to dump the battery and starter I would be able to lose about 20 lbs of weight, and pretty much have a street legal xr600 + an extra 50cc's. What do you think?

• tntmo

Posted July 07, 2004 - 06:20 PM

It's possible, but you need to split the cases. One of the transmission shafts needs to be changed, and of course you would need the kick start gear, kick start lever and right side cover from a 600R. I have everything except the side cover, I have a 600R parts motor and I was thinking of adding kickstart to my 650 for backup. I don't know about removing the starter and battery, but I suppose you'd need the left side cover from a 600R if you took off the starter.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted July 08, 2004 - 05:56 AM

I'm intrigued with the thought of building an "emergency" kickstart that could be attached to the starter drive after removing the cover from the starter drive.
Shoot, if you're stuck even a hand-crank would be worth a shot!

• Dual_Dog

Posted July 08, 2004 - 08:11 AM

There are posts about doing just this, but using the old NX650 engine and transmission parts. They are a very close match to the XRL. More so than the XR600R.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tntmo

Posted July 08, 2004 - 11:35 AM

It would probably be a lot harder to find NX650 parts than 600R goodies since the NX was only imported for two years. Also, I don't think the NX had kick start on the US versions? Either way, you'd still have to split the cases and replace the transmission shaft because that's where the idler gear for the kick start rides.

• JohnnyAirtime

Posted July 08, 2004 - 12:02 PM

Do you realize you and "Hagen" have the same registered 'on TT' date and really have same or similar bike interests. OOoOOOOhhhhHHHH scary. Go buy a lotto ticket. (Don't ask how I noticed the dates... just odd to me)

• JohnnyAirtime

Posted July 08, 2004 - 12:02 PM

Do you realize you and "Hagen" have the same registered 'on TT' date and really have same or similar bike interests. OOoOOOOhhhhHHHH scary. Go buy a lotto ticket. (Don't ask how I noticed the dates... just odd to me)

• tntmo

Posted July 08, 2004 - 12:57 PM

Wow, that is wierd. If he has a garage full of kids bikes too then I'll buy the lotto ticket.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.