FMF “Q” Muffler

8 replies to this topic
  • ASternad

Posted July 30, 2002 - 08:45 AM

Hello All,
I'm thinking of getting one of these exhaust systems. Main concern is noise testing in the North CA riding parks. Looking for any personal reviews. I called FMF they said it's running about 94DB. I may also consider the Power Bomb Header. The way my bike sits = 02 WR426F.
Free Mods/Vortip/15 Tooth frt sprocket.

Thanks for the Help.

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 30, 2002 - 08:48 AM

Per the sheets on the testing at Hollister Hills

The FMF Q pipe with the powerbomb is testing in at 96 - 100.

Just the Q Pipe its 94 - 96 on average.

Keep in mind after Jan 1st 2003 the new level is 96 db for bikes built after 1986

• ASternad

Posted July 30, 2002 - 08:51 AM

Thanks EGO, Good info, Have the TT gang figured out were the big ride will be yet?

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 30, 2002 - 09:00 PM

Most Likely Forrest Hill

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dez4ever

Posted July 30, 2002 - 10:23 AM

I have a Fmf Q pipe on my 02 YZ426 and yes it does quiet it down quite a bit, I was tested up in Kennedy Meadows @ 93db. The down side to the pipe that I've noticed is how much of the hit it takes away from the bike. I rode at high altitude and at sea level with the same conclusion, unless I absolutely have to be "Bambi friendly" I would try and figure out something else other than the Q pipe. However, since I haven't tested any other quiet pipes I don't know if the end result would be the same...low nuts!!

Just my opinion.

• Hick

Posted July 30, 2002 - 01:40 PM

I had one, it was quiet, killed a bit of the midrange and up power, liked leaner jetting esp. on the pilot.

Fell apart after about 20 hours. The rear mount is very poorly designed, instead of wrapping around the can they should have welded it. Unfortunately that would require a different part for different bikes. God forbid they should have to cut into their profit margin to do that :)

Anyway you need to keep a close eye on the four small allen-head fasteners that secure the can to the collector. The lack of a rigid rear hanger/mount allows the can to rock about that axis, putting strain on the four small screws, elongating the holes in the collector (and in my case ripping them clean out).

Hope this helps.

• ASternad

Posted July 30, 2002 - 03:54 PM

Thanks guys,
This info is very helpful. I feel the search for a quite yet non-power robber exhaust is still on.

Thanks again

• MotoGreg

Posted July 30, 2002 - 04:33 PM

CRD lists their quiet exhaust at 91db.

Funny how people say it hurt the mid and top. I just put a quiet restrictor into my DSP and while yes, it did soften up the top end pull it also gave me a huge hit of power in the midrange compared to with it open/loud.

• ASternad

Posted July 30, 2002 - 06:44 PM

I have emailed CRD, Asking for Specs and price.
Fingers are crossed. I will post the info.

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.