HOT CAM RESULTS

4 replies to this topic
  • Vanilla_Gorilla

Posted July 30, 2002 - 06:19 AM

OK, a few days ago, my friend and I both got our hotcam kits in. We installed them that night and here are the results. He has a completely stock engine. The hotcams caused a very rough idle that sounded really cool. the snap was slightly improved, as well as the torque all through the rev-range. It wasnt a very big difference, but a noticable one, as far as noise is concerned. The hesitationw as greatly increased as well. Its def. not worth the money though. It will also excellerate valve wear. My engine is fully modified with recent varner motorsports engine mods and a 450 bore kit. On my bike, the cams caused the same rough idle that sounds amazing. Response was improved dramatically. Torque was brought up at least 20% through the ENTIRE range. The engine also hits much much harder and responds just like a 2 stroke with the same snap and punch. the only downfal is larger fuel consumption. NO REJETTING NECESSARY! I must say, with the engine mods, bore kit, and hot cams, my 426, ....errrr 450 is WAY faster than it was 2 weeks ago, kinda like the difference between a 125 and 250. I think its even quite a bit faster than my friends cr500af. Hope you guys use this info. If you ahve a stock or near stock engine (no internal mods) then steer clear of hotcams, but if yo have a moderate to heavily modified engine, then definately go with them!

• Yak

Posted July 30, 2002 - 06:31 AM

This veers from your original topic.

I saw that you have the FMF PowerCoreIV silencer. I was thinking about getting one as well. How do you like it? Did you experience any power gains or power loss across the powerband. Is there a big difference between running it with the powerbomb header or without.

Your answers are appreciated.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Shawn_Mc

Posted July 30, 2002 - 06:43 AM

Vanilla, put a Thunder Alley on that thing, and youll need to hire someone to ride it!

• Hick

Posted July 30, 2002 - 07:06 AM

Originally posted by Vanilla Gorilla:
OK, a few days ago, my friend and I both got our hotcam kits in.

How much were they and where did you get them?

• Vanilla_Gorilla

Posted July 30, 2002 - 07:41 AM

i love my powercore 4, it has a spark arrestor which is good for orv trails, and it also retains all the stock power. it also adds a little bottom end. What is so good abotut he thunder alley? i have heard about it, but dont really know how good it is. I got ym hotcams through a local aftermarket parts dealership. i got my kit for 190$ because i work there now. arent discounts awesome?

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.