Riding 650R on trails?

18 replies to this topic
  • redmanrandyed

Posted July 07, 2004 - 05:26 AM

We joined some fellow ThumperTalk riders for a 70 mile ride on some pretty tight single track trails. There were Yamahas and a few KTM's. I was the only Honda.
I was asked "You gonna ride that 650 on these trails?" , "This should be fun".
After the ride a few guys said that they could not believe I took the 650 on those trails.
My question is, whats the deal? I think the 650 is a great trail bike, works real well for me. Is it not a "trail bike"?

• jlpskydive

Posted July 07, 2004 - 05:39 AM

I got the same response from my last ride on my 650L, Six bikes from fire roads to tight steep single track. We did about 90 miles some I was faster, on some slower, but confident in my bike on all of it.
2 X KTM EXC 400
1 X KTM EXC 525
2 X Suz DRZ 400
1 X BRPL
We all had a great time and at the end of it the Suzuki guys were wanting to try my 650. :thumbsup: The KTM guys they are beyond help. :devil:

• XR650L_Dave

Posted July 07, 2004 - 06:42 AM

Ditto. If the 650R gets a funny look, the 650L riders are considered nuts.
Took my L to Arkansas in february for a ride where a bunch of enduro guys get together. The usual reaction was "you're gonna ride THAT?"

I was near the front of the pack, just about every ride...

-Dave

• Old_Man_Time

Posted July 07, 2004 - 10:38 AM

The Xr650R is an excellant trail bike. You just learn to naturally approach some situations differently because of the size and weight of the bike. But after you learn to handle a XR650R in the woods you never really think about it.

• frankstr

Posted July 07, 2004 - 11:32 AM

Whats the deal,I ride my R on back woods trails all the time.Nooo Problemo!
Defenitly different than the 2 smokes when i was younger,but the bike does great,plenty of torque and handles quite well imo. :thumbsup:

• cheff

Posted July 07, 2004 - 11:50 AM

I rode my L on the Big Bear Run this year, and it did just fine. I have ridden all the tight trails in Corral Canyon except the big rock climb on Bronco peak. I will be doing the Big Bear Night ride on it and the Mammoth run as well. The L is a bit more work but it will make it anywhere. And when you are in need of that extra torque its always there for you.

• xrbrp

Posted July 07, 2004 - 12:18 PM

IS THE big bear run you mention part of the LA to vegas ride. I have been wanting to purchase a KTM525 to make that ride in November, but if I can't find the right bike for the right price who knows maybe I will keep the RELIABLE PIG!!!!!!!!!

• jlpskydive

Posted July 07, 2004 - 01:33 PM

If anyone has any doubt's about the XR650 L or R direct them to any of Torture Chambers posts with pics. If the L can do that then R can do it better, but only if TC is riding it. :thumbsup: (It is his Island)

• big t

Posted July 07, 2004 - 01:38 PM

The 650 is alot more capable than people think. I love it! :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Winkel

Posted July 07, 2004 - 05:22 PM

I ride with a group of guys on some tight trails in Kentucky, and Missouri, and I have no problem keeping up. Most of them are on two strokes (250's), and one rides a WR450. They all seem to think that my 650R is THE bike to have for this type of riding. It's true that once you get used to the bike you ride it differently than a smaller two smoke, but the extra power more than makes up for the weight. I wouldn't trade it for anything else. Plus, I have mine dualsported, and it's a lot of fun on the road.
Pigs Rule!
Wink :thumbsup:

• fourstrokin650

Posted July 07, 2004 - 05:46 PM

Alot of riders think that they need to have the lightest thing out there with the most horsepower. They dont realize that smooth unlimited torque and good suspension are all you need for trails. I have owned and ridden two-smokes and the lighter 4-stroke MXers and the only bikes I have ever been able to ride the wheels off are the XR's. I have made the mistake of straying away and buying the latest thing, only to find myself missing my BRP and coming back to it. It's a great all around bike. Look at what Scott Summers did on the old XR600 for so many years. These bike rule!! :thumbsup: Most people that give them a bad rap are those who have not ridden them (properly).

• Old_Man_Time

Posted July 07, 2004 - 06:11 PM

I have made the mistake of straying away and buying the latest thing, only to find myself missing my BRP and coming back to it. It's a great all around bike. Look at what Scott Summers did on the old XR600 for so many years. These bike rule!! :thumbsup: Most people that give them a bad rap are those who have not ridden them (properly).

Amen

• smashinz2002

Posted July 07, 2004 - 06:38 PM

Yeah, my 650R works great on trails, easily wasting anyone in the way or throwing tons of roost all over them! :thumbsup: Honestly though, I've never had a problem riding my 650R in all types of terrain; wide open country, tight high country trails, even on the road, it works great and has tons of power everywhere! I just can't see a capable rider on a 650R remaining behind a 250 for very long, either on a trail or otherwise. Just isn't going to happen.

• redmanrandyed

Posted July 08, 2004 - 03:50 AM

I guess the only other bike to consider would be the CRF450X, if and when Honda makes it. :thumbsup:

• cheff

Posted July 08, 2004 - 04:06 AM

IS THE big bear run you mention part of the LA to vegas ride. I have been wanting to purchase a KTM525 to make that ride in November, but if I can't find the right bike for the right price who knows maybe I will keep the RELIABLE PIG!!!!!!!!!

No its not part of the LA to Vegas Run, but I will be doing that one as well on the pig. The BBR was 6/26 this year and it was a blast!

• malevolent73

Posted July 11, 2004 - 02:24 PM

I have to agree with what most of you have said... I took to R to West Virginia this year... on the Hatfield McCoy Trails!!! And let me tell you they are WHOOP ASS TRAILS!!! The black trails are really hard, but I was able to get up most of them, on the pig... There are a couple of serious single track trails too, They were scary!!! But I made it through the whole thing! only saw 2 other bikes on it, CRF250X's... And they couldn't believe someone was rocking an XR650R on those trails!!! :thumbsup: :devil: :awww: :lol:

• beer_studd_76

Posted July 11, 2004 - 04:25 PM

the 650R is a very passable trail machine. you definitely earn it, but it'll scoot right down the trail with anything.

however, do yourself a favor and never take a spin on one of those 525s.

jeremiah

• xrbrp

Posted July 11, 2004 - 05:15 PM

the 650R is a very passable trail machine. you definitely earn it, but it'll scoot right down the trail with anything.

however, do yourself a favor and never take a spin on one of those 525s.

I made the mistake of riding one 520exc, and have been kicking myself, because I now am suffering from KTM fever.

• beer_studd_76

Posted July 12, 2004 - 03:00 AM

it seems that a very high percentage of 520-525 owners are former 600-650 owners. i say good for them. they can have marathon oil changes and frequent valve adjustments.

jeremiah

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.