XR650R HANGING IDLE - PILOT?

4 replies to this topic
  • ncpilot2

Posted July 07, 2004 - 02:52 AM

I recently uncorked my 2001 xr650r by removing the airbox plugs, installed new carb insulator, and drilled out the stock silencer to 1-3/8". I installed a 68s pilot jet and a 172 main, set the stock needle clip at the 3rd position (I also tried the 4th). I am at about 200 ft. elevation. I tried to adjust the pilot screw to cure a hanging idle, and when I turn the screw in all the way, or out all the way, it has no effect on the idle. Do I have the idle set too low for the pilot to effect it or what? :thumbsup:

• airport4

Posted July 07, 2004 - 05:48 AM

I fought the hanging idle problem trying many different things to cure the problem and none of them worked :thumbsup: :lol: :D

I bought an Edelbrock Quicksilver from Barnums and have never looked back :devil:
:awww:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ncpilot2

Posted July 07, 2004 - 06:35 AM

Thanks - I'm just curious why the pilot screw doesn't have any effect on the idle speed whatsoever! The bike runs ok, it's just wierd that the screw doesn't seem to do anything.

• needsprayer

Posted July 07, 2004 - 09:07 AM

Adjust the throttle stop control knob to reduce the engine idle speed. When the pilot screw starts to come into play adjust for the highest idle setting.

The goal is to find the balance at 1400 (+/- 100)rpms.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted July 07, 2004 - 10:34 AM

Adjust the throttle stop control knob to reduce the engine idle speed. When the pilot screw starts to come into play adjust for the highest idle setting.

The goal is to find the balance at 1400 (+/- 100)rpms.

I agree.
Before I went to an Edelbrock I had successfully dealt with the hanging idle with the stock carb. I found if your rpm was too high you could not adjust the carb properly. The hanging idle seems to be directly connected to too high a idle speed setting.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.