Will the lights work w/o the battery?

10 replies to this topic
  • rekless

Posted July 06, 2004 - 01:05 PM

Gonna take my battery out and make my bike a kick only. Will the lights still work without the battery? I'm assuming they run off of the stator?? Thanks, rekless :thumbsup:

• lipskid

Posted July 06, 2004 - 01:49 PM

yes :thumbsup:

• xcracer123

Posted July 06, 2004 - 04:35 PM

My dealer was at the dealer show in Vegas a few weeks back and addressed this issue to the factory guys. They said that the regulator would burn out if the battery is not connected and you run the bike for a prolonged period. I recomend NOT removing the battery and riding the bike. Just my 2 cents.

• rekless

Posted July 06, 2004 - 09:07 PM

Any idea on how long it'll take. Just curious if were talking minutes, hours, months or years?? rekless :thumbsup:

• toolie

Posted July 07, 2004 - 06:42 AM

I agree with xcracer123

However there is a way to do it properly. Years ago there was an article in a dirt bike mag about removing battery in dual sports bikes. When removing batteries on these bike the horn does not work well at idle. The headlight is also very dim, as are the turn signals. Not a good situation when your idling around in traffic. What they did is installed a capacitor that actually stores some power and makes the rest of the electrical accessories work almost as good as with a battery. And...will not harm the electrical system as running without battery will...
I'm not an expert when it come to this type of electrical stuff so maybe someone can expand on this .... :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rekless

Posted July 07, 2004 - 09:04 AM

Any idea where one could find a capacitor, or do you remember the issue the article was in? I actually got it running, and I did notice that the lights were a little dim at idle, but not bad. I did have to hook up the battery ground to the frame before the bike would start. Thanks bro, rekless :thumbsup:

• PBDBLUE

Posted July 07, 2004 - 01:19 PM

You don't need the battery or a capacitor in the 450 if you are not using the e-start. The 450 uses AC to run all of the lights and the DC circuit is only used to charge the battery for starting. If you are not going to use the e-start you can just remove the battery and tape up the ends of the cables and it will work just fine. You will still have to push the ignition button (not the starter button) or bypass it in order to get the CDI to fire. And no it will not burn up the regulator.

• rekless

Posted July 07, 2004 - 05:23 PM

PBDblue, Did it !! Seems to work flawless! Thanks, rekless :thumbsup:

• toolie

Posted July 08, 2004 - 03:22 AM

The 450 uses AC to run all of the lights and the DC circuit is only used to charge the battery for starting.

That doesn't make sence :devil: why would they have an ac/dc system on bike. I thought it's dc only.... The lights are 12v dc not ac....now I'm really :thumbsup:

I use to have an xt350 where I installed a capacitor(only a couple of buck from radio shack) the headlight was brighter and the horn actually worked. Obviously the electric start would not work on the wrs if you used the capacitor.

• PBDBLUE

Posted July 08, 2004 - 03:35 AM

The 450 uses AC to run all of the lights and the DC circuit is only used to charge the battery for starting.

That doesn't make sence :devil: why would they have an ac/dc system on bike. I thought it's dc only.... The lights are 12v dc not ac....now I'm really :thumbsup:

It does seem strange but that's the way they did it. Ever notice your headlight doesn't work when the motor is off? The pre 2003 WR's all ran AC for the lights. The DC output does not have enough capacity to run lights which is causing the dual sport conversion companies more than a little grief.

• moleculo

Posted July 08, 2004 - 05:55 AM

Regarding the dual sport kit/battery charge issue it looks as if Baja Designs now has a solution. Upon purchasing one of their kits you are now required to send them your stator for modification. They are not rewinding the stator but instead phasing the two existing outputs together into one output and replacing the stock voltage regulator with one of theirs. With this configuration the battery still charges even with the 55/60W headlight turned on (powered DC.)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.