17 inch mag wheels (cast wheels)

14 replies to this topic
  • Cruxi

Posted July 06, 2004 - 12:59 PM

Hi guys,

I've just bought a '92 XR600, and I would like to do the Supermoto thing but a decent set of wheels will cost more than I paid for the bike!
Has anyone fitted a set of road bike wheels? I was thinking about something like a set from the modern CB500 twin?
I realise I could get busy with a tape and vernier but I was hoping someone may have already done the hard work...

Cheers
Steve

• thumpasaurus

Posted July 06, 2004 - 02:11 PM

I have also wanted to do the same thing and have been keeping an ear out for an easy transplant solution. Have yet to hear anything except excel/talon which is out of my budget. If you come up w/ anything be sure and post it and I'll do the same.

• Cruxi

Posted July 07, 2004 - 08:10 AM

Sounds as though we are in the same position!
Hopefully someone will offer a solution but if not I will start digging around what we call 'Autojumbles' (Swap-meets?). There must be something to suit out there!
I'll keep you posted
Cheers
Steve

• XRMANU

Posted July 07, 2004 - 10:53 AM

look here: http://sickestbikes....e=14&modele=181 :thumbsup:

• fourstrokin650

Posted July 07, 2004 - 05:54 PM

Yeah, like the link XRMANU posted, I have seen it done on a number of bikes. I see bikes on Ebay sometimes like this and I remember someone selling an XR650R on the superTT site with some converted street bike wheels. It's just a matter of making some spacers and getting the sporcket and brakes lined up usually. If you have the skills, I am certain it would be way way cheaper. Check ebay and the local classifieds. :thumbsup:

• JR650

Posted July 07, 2004 - 08:05 PM

Anybody got a site like that for the 650R?? mine is going supermoto i think. thanks, JR

• Squidward

Posted July 07, 2004 - 11:49 PM

I'd imagine cast wheels aren't the best choice for doing any sort of jumping. If you plan to actually do large jumps on moto courses, I'd go with spokes. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Cruxi

Posted July 13, 2004 - 12:24 PM

I've gone and done it!
I just picked up a complete (sheddy) RG125 with 2.50 and 3.50x17 3 spoke wheels - at first glance it looks possible and that link to the French website certainly showed a lot of Suzuki wheels.
The front disc spacing looks V.tight for the fork leg but I think it will go in, at the back the distance between sprocket and disc is 5mm less than the XR so I'm hopeful!

Stay tuned...
Steve

• jlpskydive

Posted July 15, 2004 - 03:21 AM

These just came up on Ebay. They might work. Call the guy and see. Even if you don't win the auction he may tell you how he did it and what his set up was. Just a thought.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...&category=35601

• chunkytfg

Posted July 15, 2004 - 04:53 AM

I've gone and done it!
I just picked up a complete (sheddy) RG125 with 2.50 and 3.50x17 3 spoke wheels - at first glance it looks possible and that link to the French website certainly showed a lot of Suzuki wheels.
The front disc spacing looks V.tight for the fork leg but I think it will go in, at the back the distance between sprocket and disc is 5mm less than the XR so I'm hopeful!

Stay tuned...
Steve

sorry you've got a 3.50 inch rim to use on the rear :thumbsup:

Would it not be better to find rear with something like a 4.25" rear then you can use decent size(150/160) rubber?

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted July 15, 2004 - 06:02 AM

Suzuki RGV250 cast 3 spoke wheels can be made to fit most modern dirt bikes quite easily. I had a set on my old KLX650R, which I sold to a guy who already had a set on his XR650R. He bought mine so he could have a spare set on hand as he raced 'motard on his. I have also seen RGV rims on YZF/WRF's as well. There is a set on eBay now....http://cgi.ebay.com....2484530300&rd=1 These ones on eBay are a bit expensive, but there are plenty around much cheaper. You will need to most likely make wheel spacers, possibly swap bearings to suit different diameter axles, and obviously you'll need a bracket to mount your caliper. I modified everything for my KLX at home, it was pretty basic stuff. As a few people have already said though, if jumping is on the cards, go for spokes, the cast wheels are too fragile. :thumbsup:

• XRMANU

Posted July 15, 2004 - 10:43 AM

Anybody got a site like that for the 650R?? mine is going supermoto i think. thanks, JR

http://sickestbikes....e=14&modele=179

• Cruxi

Posted July 16, 2004 - 05:16 AM

Thanks for all your comments guys. The reason for going for the RGV125 stuff was because it was there and because the guy swapped me it for a 1981 Z (KZ) 250 custom in a million bits - hey presto, a pair of wheels and a piece of $hit out of my life!
It's a fair point re. the size of the rear wheel but beggars can't be choosers!
And I might even get a bob or two off the rest of the 125...
http://cgi.ebay.co.u...RK:MESE:IT&rd=1

• jazzeyb

Posted July 18, 2004 - 04:54 AM

You can convert your current spoke wheels to tubeless
MotoStrano Tubeless Conversion Kit ]

Also check out the "Wheel Section" on Michael's SuperMoto page at This Great and Informative SuperMoto Webpage with a huge amount of info and Links. Click the wheel section, but read it all. It's Good Stuff..
Hope it helps... If not that webpage is really informative, seeing how there aren't many out there....
JaZz
:thumbsup:

• TommyA

Posted July 20, 2004 - 06:12 PM

I have a set of used Honda CBR 600 F2 wheels if anyone is interested. I bought them to put on my supermoto, but ended up getting the usual Excel/Talon combo instead. I have seen the F2 wheels used quite a bit, so I know they can be made to work, although I never tried. They are ex-race wheels, so they have a lot of scuffs from tire changes, but are straight. They are the factory black color. I will take $175 + shipping. PM me if you're interested. :thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.