Old bike carb question

No replies to this topic
  • vtlunchbox

Posted July 06, 2004 - 07:37 AM

I bought a 88 XR600 used that did not run recently and I tore it apart and finally got it running. I found the carb to be the main issue with why it would not run. First I cleaned it out and then started agusting the jets. I finally got the bike to idle without stalling and could open the throttle completely without out a stalling problem by lowering the needle. However, I do notice that when I put on full throttle some black smokes escapes the exhaust and it is idling a little high. Also I notice, in first gear, I feel like it is not reaching full power, but a little sluggish. What should I do to fix this? Should I lower the needle one more notch or mess with the pilot screw?

And speaking of which, let me see if I have my terms correct. The main jet is the one with the needled comeing down the middle, the pilot jet is the screw that can be adjusted when the carb is on the bike, and I think the last is an idle get, smaller jet next to the main jet (is has little holes like the main jet). Is this correct? And what can I do with these three to get my bike running better? Thanks.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.