Header Dent Removal?

11 replies to this topic
  • gratefuldawg

Posted July 06, 2004 - 07:23 AM

Has anyone had success with removal of a pretty big header ding?

• rekless

Posted July 06, 2004 - 07:26 AM

Sent mine to Pacific Crest Pipe Repair and had great success. I have been told that you can heat them up and put air pressure in them, but I think PC only charged me 40-50 sheckels. Fast turn around and awesome work!!rekless :thumbsup:

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 06, 2004 - 07:44 AM

Check you post in the General Forum Answer there :thumbsup:

• JVP

Posted July 07, 2004 - 11:31 AM

Go to your local shop and talk to the service guys. Many times they put aftermarket pipes on bikes and they have a stock pipes laying around. I did this for a friend and slipped the guy a twenty and we were both happy. :thumbsup: By the way. The stock pipe to a YZF Quad fits a WR.

• Indy_WR450

Posted July 07, 2004 - 07:10 PM

I do not recommend repairing the Titanium headers on the 03's or 04's. The SS headers on earlier models can be repaired. I went thru 4 Ti headers due to heat cycle fatigue. :thumbsup:

• jackofall

Posted July 08, 2004 - 06:40 AM

Gotta agree. Pacic Coat did a great job on my pipe as well. Can't even tell it was dented and it cost less than $50.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ddialogue

Posted July 08, 2004 - 09:22 AM

I went thru 4 Ti headers due to heat cycle fatigue.

So, what happened to them after they were fatigued from heat-cycling? Did they crack or break? :thumbsup:

• Indy_WR450

Posted July 08, 2004 - 12:03 PM

They collapse and have no strength at all. It is like you can throw a small rock up at it and it buckles with the smallest insignificant ping. After spending over $1000. on headers in the last year, I have determined to switch to the SS 426 header even though it is slightly thicker wall the O.D. is the same. I have the SS header ready to go when this one collapses. I am surprised no one else has picked up on this. I do ride quite a bit so I get to see the results cycle more often. I am not the only rider I have seen this happen to a few 03's already that I was with and they were shocked at my spare parts inventory. I carry just about everything. :thumbsup:

• ddialogue

Posted July 08, 2004 - 06:13 PM

Good to know, Indy. My header actually has about five, fairly good-sized dings in it. Maybe I'll keep my eyes open for a 426 SS. :thumbsup: :devil:

• sabin

Posted July 08, 2004 - 09:27 PM

I now understand why some companyes offer SS for enduro :thumbsup:

Good info fellas!

• mtrablue

Posted July 09, 2004 - 06:25 PM

the gytr catalog has a SS header for our 450'S. it looks like a white bros. and the heat shield bolts on. one ti header was enough for me. a little over a hundred bucks.

• BEAN329

Posted July 09, 2004 - 08:38 PM

purchased a FMF power bomb (SS) for me. the fit is great. and the exhaust is little bit quieter. plus the header is a little bit farther away from the oil filter cover and the water pump housing. Oh yeah, my Ti header was dinged in about a third of the way.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.