Wheel rim repair - possible??

14 replies to this topic
  • Guest_blatham489_*

Posted July 28, 2002 - 09:24 PM

My rear Excel rim appears to be within spec as far as out of round goes (within +/-1/16, spec calls for .080") but it is 1/8" to 3/16" out of flatness. Is there a way to flatten this reliably? (No flamethrower posts EGO, I'm saving that for last resort!) Any help is appreciated. Yes, I am just too cheap or too poor to just go spend $100 for a new rim. I already need a new spoke set after having to cut out nearly a third of the old ones, ($65).

Thanks

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 28, 2002 - 12:01 PM

Big diff between a flat spot and out of round.

If indeed it is a flat spot there is not much one can do but replace the rim.

If its out of round you can bring it back in no worries.

• Guest_blatham489_*

Posted July 28, 2002 - 01:16 PM

When I say "out of flatness", I mean if I lay it on its side on a flat surface, it has air gaps at a few places around the circumference, the biggest being nearly a 1/4".

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 28, 2002 - 01:21 PM

hummm strange way to measure true on a rim.

So how flat is this flat surface...

The best way to chk true by your description is to leave it on the bike and secure a dial indicator or use a pencil.

Hold the pencil on an area of the fork so you can hold it steady as you spin the wheel.

What you want to do is set the pencil lead on the rim that has the buldge (The RIM moves towards the pencil)

You will see if the rim is and how bad.

Thisis called true, which means the side to side movemnt of the rim..

I am sure you see a gap if you lay it on a cement surface :)

• freestyle111

Posted July 28, 2002 - 01:34 PM

this guy repairs,laces and trues wheels.he very good if cant tru it nobody can.he charges $50 per wheel laced and trued.i think its about $25 to tru rim. Kelly Moss Wheels 3175 Mckee Rd. San Jose,CA. [408]254-0440

• Guest_blatham489_*

Posted July 28, 2002 - 01:54 PM

Actually EGO, I laid it out in the front yard on the grass so I wouldn't scratch it. Is that not good enough?! I noticed lots of gaps in between all the blades of grass.

Yes, knucklehead, it was a flat surface, much much flatter than the rim tolerances. I had to do that because the rim was unlaced. It appeares better now than on the bike. It was so out of whack (out of true) and the spoke nipples were so screwed up, I had no choice but to start from scratch.

Based on what I see in its current condition, trying to true it up using the spokes seems very unwise, if not impossible. So, with all of that out of the way, can it be bent back? Or is it hopeless?

(Hope you know I'm just having fun, every bit as sarcastic as you are)

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted July 28, 2002 - 04:38 PM

Originally posted by blatham489:
When I say "out of flatness", I mean if I lay it on its side on a flat surface, it has air gaps at a few places around the circumference, the biggest being nearly a 1/4".

Me too!!! I take a hammer to the rim!! Seriously! You can pound them back into place.. I do this all the time, it's only aluminum....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yamaha.dude

Posted July 28, 2002 - 04:56 PM

A plastic or leather faced hammer I hope...

It sounds like you would be able to get it back to within spec by lacing it up, and then getting it as true as possible, do a bit of light riding, and then take it closer to spec again when the spokes need tightening ... after a couple of sessions, it should be back in line...

Good luck, take your time and it will work out...

David

[ July 28, 2002: Message edited by: yamaha.dude ]

• freestyle111

Posted July 28, 2002 - 10:47 PM

a lead hammer is what wheel repair guys use to bang dents out of rim.lead mallot and deadblow filled with sand are the only hammers that wont dent or scar rim.deadblow wont work it will just bounce off rim.

• RCannon

Posted July 29, 2002 - 02:11 AM

Does you rim have actual "flat spots" or are we talking about the spoked not being tightened properly?

The last time I layed my rim on the front lawn I could not find it again. It was green.

• Kirtwell

Posted July 29, 2002 - 04:07 AM

blatham489 ,
I think the amount of gap you're seeing is perfectly fine. Heck my rims used to get that much at times laced up....and I could still true them up to within .020" or better...now that I check them alot that doesn't happen as much.
I would be more concered with out of round radially...I hate when I panic rev and the rear wheel shimmies my swing arm.

If you have a flat spot. It can be repaired. yamaha.dude gave the correct way to do it....take your time and slowly work the spot back to it's original shape. DO NOT USE HEAT OR PRYING!!!!

• Kirtwell

Posted July 29, 2002 - 04:16 AM

blatham489 ,
I think the amount of gap you're seeing is perfectly fine. Heck my rims used to get that much at times laced up....and I could still true them up to within .020" or better...now that I check them alot that doesn't happen as much.
I would be more concered with out of round radially...I hate when I panic rev and the rear wheel shimmies my swing arm.

If you have a flat spot. It can be repaired. yamaha.dude gave the correct way to do it....take your time and slowly work the spot back to it's original shape. DO NOT USE HEAT OR PRYING!!!!

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 29, 2002 - 04:50 AM

In that case

Use a 5 pound sledge-hammer,that will take it out real nice

Or if your so inclind
Posted Image

You can also run it over with the family car if a hammer is not available

Hope ya know Im just kidding back :)

[ July 29, 2002: Message edited by: E.G.O.**** ]

• RCannon

Posted July 29, 2002 - 07:52 AM

EGO, I just did this to my bike. I do not think it looks nice anymore. Do you thing one of the Yamaha of Troy sticker kits would fix it? Maybe a new brake line?

• YAMAKAZE

Posted July 29, 2002 - 08:57 AM

Best Wheel Truing Device ever made....Cleans and removes paint and oil stains off the trailer floor and is 100% accurate for rim work....

Cost: Who Cares?

Posted Image

Bonzai :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.