Chain replacement?

5 replies to this topic
  • 450GN

Posted July 05, 2004 - 09:09 AM

I own a '04 YZ450F completly stock
i have already moved my rear tire back as far as it goes and now would like to know if i should just take a link out of the chain or should i just give in and pay for a new chain. I have no problem paying for a chain but just wondering what is the best kind to get? I have heard O-ring chains take away some power? probably little if any

i ride mostly on some trails, never really in bad mud
i ride few times a year in the sand dunes and maybe a few practices at the MX tracks

any imput helps thanks in advance
and if you can recommend a good chain to me, please indicate the best/cheapest place to purchase it at
thanks again for the help :devil: :thumbsup:

• sirthumpalot

Posted July 05, 2004 - 09:16 AM

If your chain is that worn then chances are your sprockets are too. Don't put a new chain on very worn sprockets or you will wear out the new chain quickly. If you feel that your chain and sprockets are still safe then remove a link and ride those sprockets until they are dead, then buy a full chain/sprocket set. My advice for new sprockets is to get a set of steel sprockets and an x-ring chain. That will keep you going for a very long time. If weight is an issue, then get some of the light weight steel sprockets, such as the Ironman sprockets .

• Satch0922

Posted July 05, 2004 - 09:55 AM

If your running the stock chain get rid of it now before you ride that bike !!!!! The stock chain will break...if you have gotten this far consider yourself lucky and ditch it quickly!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hamish

Posted July 06, 2004 - 12:21 AM

go o(or X) ring, especially if you ride in the sand. I'm sure 99% or riders can afford to loose that minute amoung of HP that an o ring chain consumes, especially on a bike like the 450. Also bear in mind that the position of the rear axle makes a slight difference on how the bike behaves. All the way forward = shorter wheelbase = turns faster but less stable at speed and harder to keep the front wheel down.

• flogger

Posted July 06, 2004 - 06:19 AM

I went with a did X-ring. One adjustment in 6 months.

• 450GN

Posted July 07, 2004 - 10:31 AM

sweet guys thanks for all the input...
i think i will head out to my local shop and pick up a new chain... sprockets look pretty good with small wear on the outsiides of the teeth
the actual teeth look good still
thanks again for everything :thumbsup:

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.