Which Top End Kit?

8 replies to this topic
  • Prestonwv

Posted July 05, 2004 - 04:57 AM

I'm going to replace the top end on my 450 , but I don't know which company to go with. Yamaha, Wiseco, and Vertex all make complete rebuild kits for about the same price. I want the one that will be best for the performance and longevity of my bike. Any suggestions or experience with these products?

• mxerhale

Posted July 05, 2004 - 05:25 AM

I've used Wisecos for about 12 years and have had nothing but good luck with them.

• rsstom

Posted July 05, 2004 - 12:06 PM

It's hard to beat OEM quality. But I've used many Wisecos over the years....and I am using one now. Never used a Vertex, but I think your decision will probably come down to price, cause quality is probably all there.

• Hamish

Posted July 06, 2004 - 12:13 AM

have you tried JE?? They would be my preference for a piston.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DoctorRzed

Posted July 06, 2004 - 02:03 AM

I am sure you wont have a problem w/any of the all of them are quality parts and have been in the business awhile :thumbsup:

• Jeffro426

Posted July 06, 2004 - 06:22 AM

When i did the top end on my 426 i put the wiseco 13.5:1 kit in mine...havent had a problem with it and havent looked back!

• mike_dean

Posted July 06, 2004 - 06:55 AM

Bought my kit from Motosport Outlet, good price, Wiseco piston, cometic gaskets, have had no problems. My bike had approx. 350 hrs on it and it really didn't need to be done, everything looked good, just didn't want the piston to fail unexpectedly. Mike

• flogger

Posted July 06, 2004 - 07:03 AM

To you gents who have done this before. How/When do you know it's time for a top end if the bike is running OK. On 2 smokes I would do a compression check. But if I understand correctly this on a four stroke may just show some valve leakage. I have a 99 YZ 400 and I do not think it has ever been touched. I'm not trying to steal your post but this seemed an appropriate question.
Flog

• Hamish

Posted July 06, 2004 - 11:53 PM

But if I understand correctly this on a four stroke may just show some valve leakage

do a leakdown test. Anything under about 15% is pretty good. You can hear where the air is coming from. Remove the air filter. You'll hear it in the carby (inlet valves) the exhaust (exhaust valves) or crankcase breather (rings)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.