Rekluse newbie w/ Rekluse setup issue

11 replies to this topic
  • BoffoRider

Posted July 05, 2004 - 04:18 AM

I just installed the Rekluse unit on my '03 YZ450F. I confirmed the gap to be just slightly greater than 0.76mm. However, after following the break-in instructions, I still cannot get it to work properly. With the bike on a stand, I shift into first, apply the rear brake and the bike will stall. Off the stand, if I am in neutral and shift into first, the bike will stall.

I noticed that the clutch actuator arm is rotated as far as it can go towards the external adjuster bolt. In this position, there is little to no spring tension.

I do not hear any scraping on the inside of the clutch cover, so I don't think that is the problem.

Any ideas? Thanks you in advance.

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 05, 2004 - 05:30 AM

This happened to Georgiaboy on his here is the fix if it heelps or possibly the issue. Other then that I suggest you go thorugh the install Gap again, down load the latest revision.

After completing my first ride, as instructed by the install manual, I recalibrated my gap. This required me to add a second Rekluse supplied steel plate. As a result the bike had terrible clutch drag at idle. So much so, I had to use the front break to keep if from drifting away. Obviously I felt this was a problem, so I called Rekluse support. Net, net, the problem was due to a missing instruction in the manual that should have told me to loosen and move the clutch cable bracket forward so it would provide additional room for the spring and allow the clutch actuator arm to fully disengage. As was, the spring was getting in the way of allowing the clutch actuator arm to completely release (move forward). Once I made this correction, the bike now freely rolls when in gear…not as freely as when in neutral, but close. For reference the revision version of installation guide I have is dated 021704.

• OC768

Posted July 05, 2004 - 08:29 AM

have you done the '02 clutch mod yet? (the small spring and plate that go inside a bored out innermost friction disc)

IMHO it's a necessity with for the '03's. I also bought a new clutch pack for an '02 426 and put that in at the same time, and any issues I had relative to the above are now gone. Of course I did have a bigger one at first :thumbsup:

The '04 routing and actuator arm also provided a bit of easier adjustment as well and allowed for a larger range of tension settings (highly recommended).

Assuming gaps are ok, next target is spring tension. You NEED tension on that spring (specially with the stock config) to keep it from engaging. On mine I have it set about 1/2" back from the eyelet with the light spring and there is a good amount of tension @ idle.

And make sure you move your OE clutch cable bracket over if ya haven't already :devil:

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 05, 2004 - 08:37 AM

have you done the '02 clutch mod yet?

This is not advisabel per rekluse. The instruct advise to remove this from the 01 and higher...

BTW he has a 03 450 :thumbsup:

• OC768

Posted July 05, 2004 - 06:46 PM

This is not advisabel per rekluse. The instruct advise to remove this from the 01 and higher...

really? :thumbsup:
I'm guess I'm glad I didn't hear that before I installed it or I would have sent this thing back months ago :lol:

..and all this time I've been handing out mis-advice, time to hand in my in.-lb. torque wrench and my safety wire pliers :awww:

I am a firm beleiver that for the '03's, each will have their own certain set of custom install situations, mine sure did :devil: , then again - I like the increased oil capacity of that new clutch cover :D

• OC768

Posted July 05, 2004 - 06:47 PM

BTW he has a 03 450 :thumbsup:

Yeah, I got a little carried away back there, thanks for stating the key fact to my rambling :devil:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BoffoRider

Posted July 05, 2004 - 11:36 PM

I do have the '03 clutch fix already, which includes the actuator arm from the '03 WR. I have checked the gap again and I am within tolerances. I'm not sure what to do next. Any ideas?

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 06, 2004 - 03:03 AM

I do have the '03 clutch fix already, which includes the actuator arm from the '03 WR. I have checked the gap again and I am within tolerances. I'm not sure what to do next. Any ideas?

This could be your issue if they are in the Bike. You need to remove the fix. The parts you used (Two Of them) need to be taken out and place you stock clutch back in. Since the 03 did not have these parts these are added as the clutch fix as noted in the 2001 2002 clutch fix
From the Instructions from 450
6. WR 450 only: Remove the clutch boss spring form the bottom of your clutch pack. This will require
you to pull out your entire clutch pack, but keep it in order because once you’ve removed the clutch
boss spring you need to re-insert your clutch pack.
Note: The clutch boss spring consists of two rings, one bevel shaped and one flat, that locate
in the inner diameter of the bottom friction disk. You must remove both rings.

Note form Instructs on 426 for This includes the clutch fix
6. 2001-2002 426 only: Remove the clutch boss spring form the bottom of your clutch pack. This will
require you to pull out your entire clutch pack, but keep it in order because once you’ve removed
the clutch boss spring you need to re-insert your clutch pack.
Note: The clutch boss spring consists of two rings, one bevel shaped and one flat, that locate
in the inner diameter of the bottom friction disk. You must remove both rings

• BoffoRider

Posted July 06, 2004 - 11:12 AM

If I remove the clutch fix does that mean I am going to end up with that grinding sound again? Also, do I have to replace the shorter actuator arm with the original?

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 06, 2004 - 11:22 AM

If I remove the clutch fix does that mean I am going to end up with that grinding sound again?

No I have a 2000 that had the same exact issue, No it will not make the noise and YES IT MUST BE REMOVED

Also, do I have to replace the shorter actuator arm with the original?

That I am not sure about, I would call Rekluse to ask them, I would simply because the clutch was designed to work with a stock setup.

Remember when you remove the Clutch fix, you must put the original plates back in to get the plates back to the original count... :thumbsup:

• OC768

Posted July 06, 2004 - 04:38 PM

YES IT MUST BE REMOVED

John, straighten me out here...If I remove my 'fix' and put in all the OE hardware, I suffer the same fate as the guy in post #1 to the Thread. :lol: :thumbsup:

I did this back when because the first set of instructions I had for the YZ stated to ensure I had the 03 clutch fix performed before starting this...of course that set also had listed 2 gaskets for the cover vs. 3 and that didn't go so well either. :devil:

I can see why the boss spring should be removed...but when I do the demons come back (and the 03 clutch howl). :awww:

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 07, 2004 - 03:38 AM

YES IT MUST BE REMOVED

John, straighten me out here...If I remove my 'fix' and put in all the OE hardware, I suffer the same fate as the guy in post #1 to the Thread. :lol: :D

I did this back when because the first set of instructions I had for the YZ stated to ensure I had the 03 clutch fix performed before starting this...of course that set also had listed 2 gaskets for the cover vs. 3 and that didn't go so well either. :lol:

I can see why the boss spring should be removed...but when I do the demons come back (and the 03 clutch howl). :awww:

When I first installed the Rekluse I left the clutch mo in. I do have the 2000 426, but the clutch fix is the same for the 450 as it is for the 426.
I have not noticed any noise chatter or clutch howl. I will say this though. When I installed the new Rekluse Clutch Cover, standing from to the rear of the bike, it sounds like a Ductai Dry Clutch. If I put the stock OEM on quiet as a church mouse.
On Rekluse cover Sounds Like a Ducati Dry Clutch
On OEM Ahhh Ummmmmmm Quiet :devil:

I called Rekluse, the only thing we could come up with is the added volume from the Rekluse Cover + the Material acted as an Amplifier. The clutch works flawlessly.

Do you have the Rekluse Cover ?
Other then that I would say maybe you need the tungstien ball bearings "Call Rekluse" :thumbsup:

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.