Maintenance

6 replies to this topic
  • BlueBlur426

Posted July 27, 2002 - 03:12 AM

Alright everyone. I own a '01 426 and I am wondering what exactly are the best maintenance schedules for this bike. Like, what should I pull off and clean, when, how often, stuff like that. Any input would be great!

Danny

• BlueBlur426

Posted July 27, 2002 - 03:52 PM

lol so much for that. oh well

• SkinSF

Posted July 28, 2002 - 05:45 AM

Blue Bird
Lots of stuff to do in accordance with the owners manual. I have two air filters and change it after every days ride. I change the oil every three rides, change oil filter every 6 rides. Tighten/check spokes every other ride. Check torque on all bolts every ride. Lube cables every 3 rides. Wash bike after every ride, good time to look for damage. Check chain after every ride.
I am sure others do more. Some may do less. This works for me.

Good Luck

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BlueBlur426

Posted July 28, 2002 - 04:59 PM

Thanks for the reply! When we bought the bike it didn't come with an owners manual because we got it used. I used to have an XR and I was really wondering if there is anything else I would have to do with this bike vs. the XR....thanks again.

Danny

• humbertob

Posted July 28, 2002 - 05:28 PM

Also check for leaks every ride, check your tires pressure, adjust it if needed, and check the color and the level of the coolant every ride too ! These check-ups will result in much future years of enjoying riding your Yamie ! :)

• BlueBlur426

Posted July 28, 2002 - 08:04 PM

What color should I look for in the coolant? I heard from one dude once something about cleaning out a part in the carb? I'm not exactly sure what he was talking about but he was talking about dirt gets in it and causes the engine to pop some. If anyone knows about this lemme know.

Danny

• racemile

Posted July 29, 2002 - 04:33 PM

Blue,

I would suggest you order the manuel for the bike. It has lots of helpful info and should be worth whatever they are asking for it.

just my opinion,

Jason

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.