2004 YZ450F

17 replies to this topic
  • cloute

Posted July 04, 2004 - 07:19 AM

Hi everyone, I'll be picking up my new bike this week or beginning of next week and I was wondering if I made a good decision. Anybody has one and regrets it? Should I wait for the 2005? Any issue with the 2004 production? Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

• Unibomber

Posted July 05, 2004 - 05:55 AM

No regrets, its a great bike, I was looking at the WR, the CRF and the YZF and went with the YZF. With any of these bikes thera are dislikes and advantages. You will play with the gearing a little bit depending on the riding you do. Other than that hang on its a man beater. :thumbsup:

• cloute

Posted July 06, 2004 - 11:54 AM

Oh great, thanks a lot. This is it, I shall get it by friday!! :devil: It's gonna be a nice week-end I think hehe :thumbsup:

• rippinbaja

Posted July 06, 2004 - 03:48 PM

I bought mine 2 months ago and I ride it every weekend. The thing beats me up. It's my first dirt bike, (quads all my life 'til now). I love th :worthy:is machine. Not one complaint. Couldn't ask for more.

• grayracer513

Posted July 06, 2004 - 04:57 PM

Same as always with the YZ450F, don't even ride it with the stock chain, and buy a decent set of handlebars. Otherwise, you'll be happy.

• SoCalEngineer

Posted July 07, 2004 - 09:42 AM

I bought my YZ450F a month ago and have been to Lake Elsinore a few times and a few other play rides. I am very happy with it. I have seen several posts here suggesting that the bars should be changed. What difference will the bars make? What is wrong with the stock bars that I am missing?

• JayR426

Posted July 07, 2004 - 09:59 AM

They are just junk and wont hold up in a crash. It sucks to ruin a day riding by bending the bars in a slight wreck. I am tall so i went to bigger bars before riding. Other than that it is a great bike.

• SoCalEngineer

Posted July 08, 2004 - 03:41 AM

By a bigger bar do you mean a wider bar? I am 6'3" and wonder if a wider bar would be more comfortable? I hate to waste money trying to find out.

• Jeffro426

Posted July 08, 2004 - 04:29 AM

Replace the wimpy chain, tires and handlebars and all will be well!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • revolucien

Posted July 08, 2004 - 04:47 AM

I'm 6'4" and I don't know about wider bars but, I went to a higher bend it is definitely more comfortable besides like said earlier the stock bars suck and they will bend most likely in the first wipeout.

• TexasDirtNap

Posted July 11, 2004 - 05:18 PM

Just went ridin this weekend. Goin pretty much every weekned. Every time I ride i'm thinkin one improvement to the stock bike. Suspension. Did mine whith Race Tech. If you are not 175lbs you ought to rework it. Replace the bars, chain/sproket ... when $$'s are available but do the suspension first :thumbsup:.

• cloute

Posted July 13, 2004 - 07:53 AM

Yahoooo this is it! I have the bike now in my shed. I went for 2 rides up to now and I like the bike, better than my wr426 '01. The only big difference I noticed was the 1st gear was much higher...Suspension are obviously harder but its a yz and I like it. Did several jumps and it lands good. I'll problably add a bit of sag, I saw a small bump under my muffler yesterday, like if the rear galiper hit it. Anyway overall good bike. Thanks guys I'm going for a ride :thumbsup:

• racerxj17

Posted July 13, 2004 - 09:00 AM

lol that dent is there so the rear caliper doesnt hit....dont worry

• cloute

Posted July 17, 2004 - 09:11 AM

Ohh good thing then, I tought I did the dent lol!

I'll be doing my first oil change soon and went to the dealer to get an oil filter, it cost me 17$ CAN!!! :thumbsup: I can get an oil filter for my car for 5$ lol. I'm just wondering if anybody knows a place I could order filters cheaper than that! What type of oil would you recommand, I got some yamalube left in my shed but after that I'll problably switch to synthetic....which one is the best for the buck?

I got a question concerning jetting, when I ride in 2nd or 3rd gear and let the engine rev high but without accelerating, I can feel some rattle, like if the engine skip an explosion, as soon as I twist the throttle it goes away...I live in Nova Scotia pretty much on sea level....am I too rich or lean? Thanks people!

• racerxj17

Posted July 17, 2004 - 11:03 AM

dont use synthetic to break it in........about the 2nd or 3rd change use synthetic. i only pay 11 for my filters at my local dealer, and i know there are alot of places on the web you could find them cheap, but make sure to get something name brand. i bought a cheap one once and when i took off the filter it, well wasnt doing its job. also sounds like you might be a little rich, try putting the needle on the 4, clip, instead of the third.(stock)

• Hamish

Posted July 17, 2004 - 11:34 AM

might be a little rich, try putting the needle on the 4, clip, instead of the third.(stock)

that'll make it even richer

• stainlessTT

Posted July 20, 2004 - 05:41 PM

I don't think you have a jetting problem at all. My bike does the same thing when I'm going down a road maintaining the same speed. The cam lift and duration on theses bikes are made for one thing POWER not smooth comfort. In a V8 hot rod with a large cam they idel rough and sound like they will die any second, and don't run as smooth as a stock cam when just crusing at a given speed, but they acellarate faster with a "bigger" cam. The yz450 comes stock with the "big" cam. It doesn't sound too bad at idel because it idels so fast compared to a car engine.

• crf450f

Posted July 23, 2004 - 04:25 AM

I have the same bike, and I love it! The front feels so light, it's hard to keep the front end down!!! I had a 426 and this bike is 100% better. Not to mention it looks cool at the track. The suspension feels smooth, already saved my ass a few times, while making a few jumping mistakes. My friends hate it, because I am roost :cheers:ing them all of the time now, LOL

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

• Hot  79 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

• Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.