Bike keeps blowing lights

14 replies to this topic
  • WRAndy

Posted July 03, 2004 - 08:17 PM

Has anybody had any problems with their light globes blowing on their WR450?

Mine keep blowing and i can't figure it out.

• shotgunscott

Posted July 03, 2004 - 08:28 PM

I had the same problem on my 03 450. Couldn't keep a bulb in it. Turned out to be a failed regulator. After I replaced it about a month ago I haven't blow a bulb.

• WRAndy

Posted July 03, 2004 - 08:37 PM

Thanks, wheres the regulator?

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted July 03, 2004 - 09:43 PM

Yep, sounds like your voltage reg' is stuffed. On my 426, it's located on the left hand side of the headstem. Your 450 will probably be the same. When you rev the bike, do the lights get brighter, then blow? I have had that happen, it was the reg'. :thumbsup:

• shotgunscott

Posted July 03, 2004 - 09:47 PM

If the AUS. model is the same as the US it will be located just above the kick start and bolted to the frame. It's about 6cm x 6cm.
With the failed regulator if i ran under about 4500 rpms I wouldn't blow the bulbs and the voltage was 12 volts AC. If I ran above 4500 I would get an unregulated voltage spike up to 25.5 volts AC. It would be very bright for about 3 seconds then blow. Luckly during the night races I also run a set of helmet mounted H.I.D lights that run on the DC (battery) circut.
Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted July 03, 2004 - 09:58 PM

Scott, does the 450 reg' bolt to the frame where the 426 had the coil mounted?

• shotgunscott

Posted July 03, 2004 - 10:04 PM

No The 426s are located on the left hand side of the frame by the stearing stem. On the 03s and 04s they are located down between the kick start and the carb. The parts for the 02s and 03s are not interchangeable. I believe that's because the 03s also have a DC coil for the battery and starter. the 02s and earlier only have AC voltage.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chris_from_Oz

Posted July 03, 2004 - 10:13 PM

Scott, I think you mis-understood my question. I know that the 426 reg' mounts on the LHS of the steering stem, I said that in my original reply. On a 426, the coil is mounted near the kickstarter, on the frame, held on by two bolts. My question was; does the 450 reg' mount in that same location? The way you describe it, it sounds like it does. :thumbsup:

• shotgunscott

Posted July 03, 2004 - 10:39 PM

I do believe you are correct Chris. I couldn't locate any online schematics for an AU. models but looking at a US schematic that looks about right. YAMAHA ONLINE PARTS CATOLOG U.S

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted July 03, 2004 - 10:47 PM

:thumbsup:Thanks for that Yamaha parts catolog link Scott, that will come in very handy :thumbsup: :devil:

• WRAndy

Posted July 04, 2004 - 01:21 AM

I found it on the frame near the top of the kickstarter.

Its amazing what happens when you read the manual. :thumbsup:

Do the regulators fail regularily?

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted July 04, 2004 - 02:33 AM

I found it on the frame near the top of the kickstarter.

Its amazing what happens when you read the manual. :awww:

Do the regulators fail regularily?

I wouldn't say they fail on a regular basis, at least not in my case, but it is a pain in the arse when they do. Out of all the bikes i've had, i've only ever had about 2-3 bad reg's, and i've had a LOT of bikes :devil: :thumbsup:

• Brettv

Posted July 04, 2004 - 02:35 AM

hey chris, where abouts in melb you from?

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted July 04, 2004 - 02:48 AM

Caroline Springs, bit further west than Deer Park. :thumbsup: And you?

• Brettv

Posted July 04, 2004 - 02:50 AM

blackburn, on the way to fern tree gully, mt dandy etc, east side
:thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.