Valveing your shock&forks

5 replies to this topic
  • damo

Posted July 03, 2004 - 06:26 PM

HI GUYS :thumbsup:is valveing your own xr650r suspention hard :thinking:what valveing kits are the best to use :excuseme:do they come with instructions&guidelines on setup :thinking:any tech info much appreciated :thumbsup:
:cheers:Damo

• Baja Rudy

Posted July 06, 2004 - 07:08 AM

don't mess with it ... send it to a professional, Rob Barnum has the hot set up for you. :thumbsup:

• Ciqir

Posted July 06, 2004 - 08:38 AM

Just in case you want to learn how to do this yourself, gain understanding, and save money, become a member of the xr650r yahoo groups and look in the files section. There you'll find a couple different documents on how to do this yourself.
You'll also find information on it at xr650r.net and at the Pig Pen (xr650r.us).

I found the info a while back and just gathered the stuff to complete the job with. If you've ever done racetech valves you've reshimmed on the same basic principle. There are a couple specialty tools needed that you can make yourself/find ways around. I made my own when I did my 4hunny. Like caruretors, it's a bit scary until you get into it and understand it. After that it's no big.
This will be my first shot at doing a stock stack reshim myself. If it's not up to my expectations I'll probably give a shop a call, most likely Precision Concepts. Any shop familiar with the BRP can handle things fine I'm sure.

L8r-- :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BWB63

Posted July 06, 2004 - 01:32 PM

Doing the work yourself is not hard if you can turn a wrench and fallow instructios but, you need to know the shim stack you want and why it works the way it does so, if you don't like it you can change it.
http://www.xr650r.us/forks/
I have a stiffer shim setup for balls to the walls riding also but, didn't put those shim stcks in there. Eric helped me make it readable and put it on his site. The rough version is still in the file section of the yahoo XR650R Group. I didn't put how to put it back together.

• Ciqir

Posted July 06, 2004 - 02:54 PM

Hey BWB63, thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

• JohnnyAirtime

Posted July 07, 2004 - 06:15 AM

HI GUYS :thumbsup:is valveing your own xr650r suspention hard :thinking:what valveing kits are the best to use :excuseme:do they come with instructions&guidelines on setup :thinking:any tech info much appreciated :thumbsup:
:cheers:Damo

Obviously several options have been handed to you... I had PRECISION CONCEPTS (Bob) in El Cajon take care of me... He did AWESOME work and my forks work better than ever. It was honestly less than a 2 day turnaround. I have yet to do my rear shock valving, as I moved up to a 10.5 spring and it took care of most my woes.

I didn't take anything to Barnums as they're not conveniently located for me... so I don't know Rob's work.

Good luck

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.