'01 426 and 120 tires....

5 replies to this topic
  • DrThumper

Posted July 03, 2004 - 04:22 PM

I've run 120s a lot, I love the width, the handling and the fat float you get....and I have noticed side cleat loss before...but currently I noticed its all on the chain side. My chain (O-ring and new) is adjusted to right in the middle of the factory spec and when I push it towards the tire it actually does hit the side cleats! Is this true? Am I really ruining my tire? Has anyone else seen this before? I guess I got to go back to 110s? :thumbsup:

• machoman_#618

Posted July 03, 2004 - 05:22 PM

first I heard of it. Air pressure too low or to much chain slack maybe, worn out wheel bearings? just ideas :thumbsup:

• YZDAD1

Posted July 04, 2004 - 02:29 AM

Adjust your chain, use the tire sidewall as your "gauge" point. Your chain should just clear the side lugs.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hick

Posted July 04, 2004 - 01:06 PM

Other than the tire it came with all I ever ran on my 426 was 120mm dunlops out back. I never had a clearance problem w/ the chain. It probably rubbed the can and fender a little bit more than a 110...

...I'm not sure if I could have pushed my chain in far enough to contact the tire or not, but I am sure that it never made enough contact w/ knobs on its own to do any visible damage.

Double check your axle/chain alignment as well as tension.

Hope this helps.

• DrThumper

Posted July 05, 2004 - 05:54 AM

Tire pressure is fine, alignment is fine....I'll check the bearings for wheel slop. Maybe keep it on the tight side of the chain tension spec....

By the way, the tire is a Maxxis HT 120/100....the Dunlops I used to have were 120/90. Maybe It's just a little too big?

Thanks for the tips guys!

• Hick

Posted July 05, 2004 - 07:53 AM

By the way, the tire is a Maxxis HT 120/100....the Dunlops I used to have were 120/90. Maybe It's just a little too big?

Could be, I don't know how that brand sizes their tires. One reason I stick w/ Dunlops for rear tires is frustration w/ different sizing of other brands like Michelin & Pirelli. I've been tempted but never have tried a Maxxis.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.