Steering head ring nut tool

15 replies to this topic
  • groundhog

Posted July 25, 2002 - 01:48 AM

I saw a post of someone asking about torquing the steering head ring nut.

I made a tool using a friends waterjet cutter (cuts steel with water!) To get the tool right I need the dimensions of the original Yamaha tool. What I need is the distance from the torque wrench socket to the center of the ring nut. If someone has this I can make them for anyone who wants them for about $15 (my Yammy dealer wants $42) and he doesn't even have one himself for me to measure!

You can look at the one I made at www.rapidcreekcutters.com Go to the photographs section.

I have also made multi purpose wrenches (axle, spoke, etc.) that are compact to fit in my fender bag. All tools are made from T1 tool steel.

If anyone is interested or has the measurements please let me know

thanks

[ July 25, 2002: Message edited by: groundhog ]

[ July 25, 2002: Message edited by: groundhog ]

• sirthumpalot

Posted July 25, 2002 - 02:13 AM

Hey, that's a really cool service! Unfortunately I don't have the measurements but if you get them I'll certainly buy a tool from you for $15! :)

• RCannon

Posted July 25, 2002 - 02:25 AM

I would like one as well! It sounds better than the one I made in 1982. I globbed two welds on the ends of some adjustable pliers. I had a chance a while back to see the water jet at Utah Sports Cycles skid plate facility. It was amazing. The cut sides look like they have been sanded.

• DPW

Posted July 25, 2002 - 02:28 AM

I'll take one too

• Durtorpedo

Posted July 25, 2002 - 09:03 PM

An M-16/AR-15 barrel take-down wrench, the short type, works perfectly, just grind off one of the splines and viola. It even has a 1/2" square hole for in the center of it for a 1/2" drive torque wrench. They only cost $9.95 from Sherluk Marketing.

• Grashopr

Posted July 25, 2002 - 07:26 PM

:D How the HELL do you know that an AR15 takedown wrench will do this??? Do you use your 426 as transportation when spotlighting deer? Just wondering.

The 'hopper' :)

• groundhog

Posted July 26, 2002 - 12:56 AM

I looked at the M-16 take-down wrench. Looks like it will work, but I wouldn't use it expecting to get an accurate torque. The distance from the center of the nut to the center of the torque wrench head is critical. Too long and you will over torque, too short and you will under torque.

As soon as I can locate an original Yammy tool or get the measurments I will contact anyone who has indicated they want one to make sure you still want it.

• BigLou

Posted July 26, 2002 - 01:09 AM

If someone has a stock Yammy tool, I can draw it up in AutoCad if that is of any help to anyone. I can mail you a paper print if you don't have AC on your computer. And, yes, I will mail the tool back to whomever sends it to me! :)

Just shoot me an Email if this sounds like a plan. Otherwise, put me down for a wrench, too.
Thanks.
Lou.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Durtorpedo

Posted July 26, 2002 - 02:28 AM

Groundhog,
When using a tool like that, you must have the wrench and the tool at a 90 degree angle to each other. I believe the Yamaha or a torque wrench manual tells you that. It is not much different than the Yamaha tool, but they must be perpendicular for torque accuracy.

• groundhog

Posted July 26, 2002 - 03:25 AM

Durtorpedo,
I think the length still makes a difference even at 90 degrees. Try holding a pencil vertically by the eraser and pulling on it with the other hand. Easy if you pull at the point, but hard pulling near the eraser. I might be messed up here though?? I am going to the shop and try a make-shift test. Will let you know if I figure out anything.

BigLou,
I already have it drawn on Cad. (and converted to CNC). Just need the length to finalize it. Thanks though!

• Durtorpedo

Posted July 26, 2002 - 03:33 AM

That procedure came from my Snap-on torque wrench manual.

• Durtorpedo

Posted July 26, 2002 - 09:15 PM

Groundhog,
I was looking at the OEM tool in the manual and it looks like nothing more than a short spanner wrench with a square hole in the handle. There is still the distance between the square hole and the actual wrench on that tool, too.

• Chuck_Moore

Posted July 26, 2002 - 10:58 AM

groundhog Put me down for one.

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 26, 2002 - 11:00 AM

Me

Hu Lets see one two three for people so far

I ran out of fingers DANG
Count me in for one too
uh no just one not too too

No I mean just one OK :)

• grashoper250

Posted July 26, 2002 - 11:19 AM

I'll take one when you get it worked out. Thanks.

• yamaha.dude

Posted July 26, 2002 - 11:45 AM

I'll have one made from tool steel or Stainless...

The trick with torquing correctly is to compensate for the extra length - simple math and you can set your torque wrench to an appropriate setting so if the centre of the hole is 2 inches, then you have a torque wrench of 18 inches, then you have to work the ft/lbs out on a 20inch length...

David

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.