Death in the family

8 replies to this topic
  • malevolent73

Posted July 02, 2004 - 06:05 PM

I have roached my piston... I was out riding and It got hot, so I checked the oil, none on the stick!!! NOT GOOD, then I see oil all over the side of the engine!!! :D, so I'm looking, and then I see the the cam seal is twisted in the head!!! :thumbsup: NO MORE OIL!!! So now I go home... it still ran when I shut it off. when I got home I drained the oil, and got maybe a cup!!! then I pulled the plug, and put some oil in the cylinder. It still turns over, but you can here the piston squeal against the cylinder, even with the oil in it :lol: So now I am looking at a rebuild! Can anyone tell me where I can get the HRC power up piston kit? I called every where, and nobody can get it! Also, does anyone else have an after market piston... what kind? I may just go with wiseco... I praying the bearing didn't get damaged also! I haven't opened it up yet. Any suggestions would be appreciated :devil: :awww: :lol:

• qadsan

Posted July 02, 2004 - 06:28 PM

Go for the 680 kit :thumbsup: I know Rob Barnum has (or had) pistons in stock because I talked to him about this today when ordering parts for one of our other bikes. He said the 680 kits have been selling quite well lately. The 680 kit has tempted me for a while now, but my bike runs super well and I hate to spoil a good thing until it gets more tired. Rob's number is (760) 868-8097 / sales@barnumspro.com and he sells stock pistons too.

• irondude

Posted July 02, 2004 - 07:11 PM

Go with this:
Kibblewhite valves and springs
Carillo rod
XR's Only heavy duty crank
HRC heavy duty chain
Cam choice is up to you-they all are good
680 Weisco piston at 11:1

have the rockers hardened. Replace the plastic chain guides. Get a good flowing all steel pipe....add an Edelbrock carb, and cut open the airbox cover.

You will have one very very very fun and very reliable BRP!

• thumpasaurus

Posted July 03, 2004 - 10:46 AM

what year and 600 or 650? Just asking / wondering what could have brought it on..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jlpskydive

Posted July 04, 2004 - 06:43 AM

Post Hijack (Sorry)
Thumpasarus where in Va. are you? I'm looking for people to do some dual sport rides with. I'm Northern Va. but, had a good group of (6) 2 weeks ago do 100 miles down in Stuart. :thumbsup:

• malevolent73

Posted July 04, 2004 - 06:30 PM

Do you have the Kibble White valve springs? are they the stock stiffness? and how do you like them? Oh and how much $$$? :thumbsup:

• malevolent73

Posted July 04, 2004 - 06:34 PM

its an 02 xr650r... I know what caused it. something hit the cam hole cap, and knocked it out of place! half in the motor, half out, kinda wedged in the hole side ways!!! lost most of the oil! :thumbsup:

• malevolent73

Posted July 04, 2004 - 06:47 PM

HEY GOOD NEWS!!! ITS NOT THE PISTON! I PULLED IT APART LAST NIGHT.... THE PISTON AND CYLINDER WERE FIND, LIKE NEW!!! THE CAM WAS COMPLETELY DRY :thumbsup:, BUT IT STILL MOVED!!! I NEVER THOUGHT OF POURING OIL IN THE TOP OF THE MOTOR BEFORE I TOOK IT APART, BUT ANYWAY, IT'S ALL VALVE TRAIN!!! THERE IS BAD WEAR ON THE CAM LOBES, AND THE ROCKER ARM FACE, WITH PITTING TOO! PLUS IT'S NOW A VERY PRETTY SHADE OF BLUE!!! SURPRISINGLY ENOUGH THOUGH, THE CAM BEARINGS ROLL FINE!!! BUT I AM REPLACING IT ALL ANY WAY, JUST TO BE SURE, AND A SET OF RINGS JUST FOR GOOD MEASURE, THEY'RE CHEAP ENOUGH!!! I CAN ONLY IMAGINE, THAT CAM MUST HAVE BEEN GLOWING RED HOTT!

• thumpasaurus

Posted July 05, 2004 - 03:26 PM

I know what caused it. something hit the cam hole cap, and knocked it out of place... lost most of the oil!

OOOHH I get it. Sorry, I thought you meant it just popped out on its own.. and I was wondering what in the world could've caused that!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.