Piston, when?

4 replies to this topic
  • mike_dean

Posted July 25, 2002 - 01:18 AM

When would you replace your piston as regular maintenance? '00 426, over 200 hrs, engine has never been apart, runs great. thanks mike

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 25, 2002 - 04:32 AM

Intresting question

I was just going over the Maint Schedual per the Yami Manual.

If I remember from last night I think it said
every 3rd race or 500 or 1000k to inspect / replace if needed.

So this brings up agood point.

Who follows the recommended Maint schedual / chk as perscribed by the manual.

Opps dang fat finger hit return to quick

I would say if it aint broke dont fix it. If compression is well in the standard and no smoke is seen, then why ?

But then again, I am a tinkerer and plan on an engine tear down this Winter.

Why a engine tear down, Check trannie, clutch, oil pump, crank piston and valves to specification.

Who knows I may just bore it to a 440 :)

[ July 25, 2002: Message edited by: E.G.O.**** ]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted July 25, 2002 - 04:42 AM

I just had my top end done on my 01 with about 150hrs. I noticed a decrease in power & that is why I did it.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted July 25, 2002 - 09:33 PM

Pistons can get fatigued. If you have been racing it hard, you might want to do a piston. I doubt the bore would need work. Basically what Id call a "top end refresh". Id be more worried about the valve springs. They are much more likley to fail.

Its surprizing how much new valve springs will improve a motors manners. When I was racing super stock flatbottoms, we'd change the springs twice a season. And after the races we'd pull the push rods, so we wouldnt have one or two hangnig open, sacking out the spring. Just food for thought.

• MikeOK

Posted July 25, 2002 - 01:54 PM

I rebuilt mine the first time at about 150 hours. It didn't need it. If I had it to do over again I would have waited until the compression didn't spec. One thing I found out is that the cylicer at 12.5:1 compression is much more critical than on a 2 stroke. If your new piston isn't just right you will have problems and have to either have it replated to match your piston, or go with the pricey stock piston. A good compromise would be to do a new set of rings if your compression is okay.

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.