where's a good place to buy valve adjustment shims ?

7 replies to this topic
  • rush66

Posted July 02, 2004 - 01:42 PM

im going to be adjusting my valves soon and am wondering where a good place to buy the shims from is ?

• machoman_#618

Posted July 02, 2004 - 02:08 PM

Local Yamaha shop. You might want to check what your clearance is first. I just hand lap my down to what I need. If you know someone who works in a machine shop it will save you some bucks.they come in 5mm increments

• grayracer513

Posted July 02, 2004 - 02:10 PM

You mean .05mm increments, don't you?

Just checking

• mnovarossi

Posted July 02, 2004 - 02:57 PM

My local Yamaha dealer trades me shims for my old ones. If you buy them they cost about 6 bucks per shim.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • machoman_#618

Posted July 02, 2004 - 03:03 PM

:devil: thanks Gray you da man :thumbsup:

• falshh

Posted July 02, 2004 - 03:09 PM

Ive found that most shops dont carry them and will tell you they will have to order them.You can go to any motocycle shop that has a service shop and buy shims they dont have to be Yamaha shims all the generic ones work also.My yamaha dealer didnt have them in parts and there service centre had them but wouldnt sell them to me it really pissed me off because they needed adjusting after 4 rides.Ihad to go to the Honda dealer and buy them from there service shop, know what sizes you need and the generic sizes come in a lot more than .005 increment sizes.Buy the way the dealer I was talking about was Beaverton Honda Yamaha they have a nice setup but the prices are way too high and service sucks!!wont buy my next bike there.

• brucifer

Posted July 02, 2004 - 04:21 PM

If you know the part # cycle-parts.com list them for $4.75 each. Haven't ordered any yet but will soon when my auto decompression cam comes in. My parts manual list them from 1.20mm (0.47244) to 2.40mm (0.094488) in 0.05mm (0.0019685) steps

• twistngrip

Posted July 02, 2004 - 05:31 PM

The bottom line is to do the valve work when you can stand to have your bike down for a few days. From what I've experienced none of the dealers carry a good selection and most don't give a rats a$$ whether they provide good service or not. You'll end up ordering them if you don't want to use some of the other options people have mentioned.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.