Phillips head screws!!

27 replies to this topic
  • F624ZY20

Posted July 25, 2002 - 05:01 AM

Most Ace Hardware stores have large selections of mm machine screws with hex heads (either button, taper or standard). They are alot cheaper than buying from the dealers. I cannot think of any phillips head screw on the bike that needs a special hardness. One of the first things I do is replace all the phillips with hex head from Ace. Also anit sieze compound may help, but you need to make sure the manual does not call for loctite and that you get the specified torque correct. This doesnt help get the screw out but it may help solve the problem in the future.

• OTBC_yz426f

Posted July 25, 2002 - 05:38 AM

I also hate phillhip heads.

If ever met Mr. Phillhips I would kick him square in the teeth! :)

• idaho426

Posted July 25, 2002 - 05:57 AM

Thanks for all the good info. I was'nt able to get to it lastnight because my ol'lady had me runnin all night. Hopefully tonight.

• Wyatt

Posted July 25, 2002 - 06:32 AM

I second the hand impact drivers! They can come in handy. One of my screws stripped there also. I used a small pair of vise grips to get it out. I replaced them with hex head screws. If I remember correctly, I think you need a different length anyway if you plan to just use the metal guard and ditch the plastic cover.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mike_dean

Posted July 25, 2002 - 06:51 AM

Hand impact driver held straight and put a small amount of valve grind compound on the tip of the phillips bit. mike

• txthumper

Posted July 27, 2002 - 04:21 AM

i had the same problem with the phillips screws..then i noticed on my sons kx 85 the hex head screws are the same size, and they have the little washer made on them..so i called the kawi dealer and ordered 1 dozen side panel screws and 1 dozen seat bolts..they are the same size but the seat bolts are a bit longer..now i have all my screws replaced on my 426

• RIDEPATE

Posted July 27, 2002 - 10:04 AM

YZ400MAN, hit the bolt on the head so to speak, a hammer-drive impact is the sheiot!!!!i"ve had the same one for over 20 years, even if theres not much of a cross left at all it will do the job!!!!!!!!!jimbo

• Bamster

Posted July 27, 2002 - 03:14 PM

When it's real bad I drill the whole head off,remove the part and use vicegrips to get the rest of the screw out.
I replaced all my phillips with allen bolts.
Thats one thing I miss about Hondas,good fasteners

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.