will a header/pipe exhaust leak make an engine run very lean?

4 replies to this topic
  • Shane_Bettin

Posted July 01, 2004 - 01:39 PM

ive been having problems with my bike running really lean. theres is a leak where the header connects to the pipe, would that be the the problem. it was running perfect before but since i put as new pipe on its been real lean. i did go up a size with the main, 175-178. im thinkin of usen some kind of shrink wrap or somthin and maybe some gasket maker/sealant. any ideas?

• Dolce_Grappa

Posted July 01, 2004 - 02:11 PM

Yes an exhaust leak will cause a lean condition; you can use Chamber Seal or Permatex, Ultra Black. Chamber Seal worked fine on the 2-smoke, but just melted from the exhaust temps from my 4-stroke.
NAPA will have the Ultra Black; you’ll have to let it cure a little prior to sliding on the silencer.
Let us know how it works for, ya!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bobby_Holeshot

Posted July 02, 2004 - 06:57 AM

MXA Mag has a great article about how pipes work on MX bikes and talk about the importance of tight joints and leaks.

• Shane_Bettin

Posted July 02, 2004 - 09:09 AM

does it talk about it on the web site, or which issue is it in?

• sirthumpalot

Posted July 02, 2004 - 12:17 PM

You say it's lean, but where (at what throttle opening(s)) is it lean? For very small throttle openings (idle to about 1/4) play with the fuel screw and pilot jet. For mid openings (about 1/4-3/4) the needle and clip position will have a significant effect, and for over 3/4 the main jet will have the most effect. I'm not a jetting guru, but this is the basic way it works, hope this helps.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

BIGBORE FOR YZ450F 2006? by Taattie94

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.