Raer axle nut ping???

11 replies to this topic
  • Fly-nBri

Posted July 23, 2002 - 03:04 PM

Was tightening the rear axle and just at torque value it "pinged".

Backed it off and retried and again...ping! :D

Over and over again the same thing. &%$#@! is it??? :)

• DaveJ

Posted July 23, 2002 - 08:47 PM

Bri,

First of all, try a completely different tool assembly.

I have had small cracks in sockets make similar noises. Could also be something in the wrench.

If not, you obviously have some sort of movement, meaning slippage or a crack.

And, with the wheel installed, remove the chain and spin the wheel so to listen to any small noises and check movement. This may lead you to other clues.

Let us know what you find.

DaveJ

• Fly-nBri

Posted July 24, 2002 - 02:44 AM

Thanks Davej. Will take a look at the tool and whatnot.

Was wondering if it could be the distance spacer inside the wheel. I noticed it "floated" more on one side than the other.

• DaveJ

Posted July 24, 2002 - 05:24 AM

Bri,

If your 99 is like my 00, then that spacer is designed to only float on one side.

And perhaps you should let us know if this is the first time this have ever done this, and if you just got the bike, let us know if you have confirmed that all the right pieces are in the right places.

DaveJ

• Fly-nBri

Posted July 24, 2002 - 05:29 AM

Yep. First time with the tire off and just got the bike 2 weeks ago. Hub seals look correct and tire spins freely. Just concerned about that ping is all. Gonna do some checking with a dealer mechanic and see if he knows anything.

• Oregon_Thumper

Posted July 24, 2002 - 05:59 AM

Mine does that "ping" sometimes too. I never have figured out what it was and it only does it every once in a while. I have used many different tools, and it doesn't seem to matter. It freaked me out when it happened and I took the back wheel off and checked everything I could think of, but nothing looked out of place or wrong. I would like to know what it is too if anyone has an idea.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • John_Lorenz

Posted July 24, 2002 - 06:07 AM

I think the Ping is ok, Same on me 00 at times.

It is the ChaaKoonk ya look out for followed by the bloodie knuckle Scream :)

• sirthumpalot

Posted July 24, 2002 - 06:22 AM

My '01 makes some noises sometimes too. Typically when I loosen the rear axel more than a couple of turns. It sounds like the metal is flexing from the reduced stress and something is slipping somewhere along the line. If this sounds like what you're hearing then I wouldn't worry too much.

• Fly-nBri

Posted July 25, 2002 - 05:38 AM

Talked to 2 different service mechanics and they have never heard of it happening. Oh well...I'll keep looking. :)

• Shawn_Mc

Posted July 25, 2002 - 02:17 PM

Are you guys sure its not the steel backing in the inside edge of the swing arm "popping" on a burr of the axle? Ive never heard anything like this, but my imagination lets me hear all kinda crap! :)

• MANIAC998

Posted July 26, 2002 - 01:15 AM

You might be hearing the actual threads on the axle and nut. If they are not lubed, the threads themselves will not rotate around one another smoothly. What happens is that they will bind ever so slightly, and then slip with a bang as you overcome the friction. Try some lube on the threads, both the nut and the axle, and see if it continues. Maniac

• Fly-nBri

Posted July 26, 2002 - 08:32 AM

Gonna try the lube Maniac! Thanks!

Will report later.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.