Chain lube ??

15 replies to this topic
  • ebz06

Posted July 01, 2004 - 07:35 AM

What is the best stuff to put on the chain?? I've been using chain wax but everything sticks to it. It gets all junked up after a while.

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted July 01, 2004 - 07:39 AM

You're talking o-ring chain? Bel-Ray Super Clean chain lube. A friend of mine has also had good luck with plain ol' aerosol silicone lubricant.

• Tim_in_WA

Posted July 01, 2004 - 08:28 AM

I use Tri-Flow on mine, and it still looks brand new even after 2700 miles. Only drawback is you have to lube the chain often. I lube it after every ride, but the chain stays clean and the little bit of dirt that sticks to it comes right off.

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted July 01, 2004 - 10:24 AM

I agree, Tri-flow is good, too. :thumbsup:

• JVP

Posted July 01, 2004 - 11:27 AM

Maxima Crystal Clear Chain Lube. It is the BEST! :thumbsup:

• dominator426

Posted July 01, 2004 - 01:38 PM

I like using Maxima's synthetic Chain Guard chain lube. :thumbsup:
About 5500 miles on original chain and it's good for a few thousand miles more...

• r1superstar

Posted July 01, 2004 - 01:57 PM

I use Motul Chain Lube on my O-ring chain. Make sure you clean the chain good first with WD-40 and then heat up the chain before you apply the lube.

• x2smoker

Posted July 02, 2004 - 07:28 AM

WD40! Cheap, available, and doen't attract dirt that will wear out the chain and sprockets.

It is not used as a lubricant, but as a protectorant from oxidation. 20,000 miles on my FZR chain and nothing but WD40 has touched it. Over 2000 miles on my WR chain, still in great shape, lots of mud, water and sand riding. WD40 is recommended by one (or more) of the best chain manufacturers.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Maddog542

Posted July 02, 2004 - 08:41 AM

Smoker,
Is that 200 miles on the stock WR chain with no problems? The way everyone has complained about the chain quality, I was thinking of swapping mine out right away before much sprocket wear occurred. However, if I can get 2000 miles out of the stock unit with WD 40, I'm all over it! :thumbsup:

• live_to_ride

Posted July 02, 2004 - 08:48 AM

Smoker,
Is that 200 miles on the stock WR chain with no problems? The way everyone has complained about the chain quality, I was thinking of swapping mine out right away before much sprocket wear occurred. However, if I can get 2000 miles out of the stock unit with WD 40, I'm all over it! :devil:

Yamaha must use more than one chain on the wr's. Mine came with a DID x-ring chain and that is supposed to be one of the best. 1402 miles and it is still ok as far as I can see. Even the one on my yz426 (non o-ring) lasted a long time. :thumbsup:

• TTRacer7

Posted July 02, 2004 - 08:58 AM

chain wax but everything sticks to it.

I agree, I have been using it lately, and it's very tacky, but if u get it on hub and brake, all of the dirt sticks to it and it's a pain in the @$$ to get off, i had to take off my rear tire just so I could clean the hub and brake, but of course I have the drum brake on the TTR, so it may be easier with a disc!

• r1superstar

Posted July 02, 2004 - 11:20 AM

WD40! Cheap, available, and doen't attract dirt that will wear out the chain and sprockets.

It is not used as a lubricant, but as a protectorant from oxidation. 20,000 miles on my FZR chain and nothing but WD40 has touched it. Over 2000 miles on my WR chain, still in great shape, lots of mud, water and sand riding. WD40 is recommended by one (or more) of the best chain manufacturers.

AH yes, now streetbikes are a different story. I use nothing but WD-40 on all my streetbikes. Great cleaner, lube, and water repellent. Great choice "smoker".

• dale

Posted July 02, 2004 - 01:40 PM

Over 2000 miles on my WR chain, still in great shape, lots of mud, water and sand riding.

I can't see how anyone can get 2000 miles out of a chain in Midwest conditions, I have been riding in Indiana and OH for 25 years and have always used O-ring chains, replace chain & sprockets as a set, only use Renthal or Sidewinder Chromemoly (high $) sprockets, and the most I every got was 800 miles and the chain was really wasted. Normaly I replace them under 500 miles. The MX guys I know that go riding with me destroy their non O-ring chains in a couple rides.
Maybe it's where I ride, if your in 3rd gear then that's a super high speed trail, most are 2nd gear at best. So it takes a long time to go 2000 miles.

• mtrablue

Posted July 02, 2004 - 02:19 PM

PJ1 blue label.

• WR_Dave

Posted July 02, 2004 - 02:46 PM

Silkolene Pro Chain---3500 kms (2100 miles) on stock chain. I use a sidewinder rear sprocket and Renthals on the front. I change the front often and I don't have any trouble with the chain and rear sprocket. WR Dave. :thumbsup:

• vantolr

Posted July 02, 2004 - 03:29 PM

two thumbs up for WD40....I wash by bike well after each ride, sray the stuff on, spin the tire, repeat as necessary and you have a perfectly clean and lubed chain.....

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.