replacing the couterbalancer key on 00' 426

8 replies to this topic
  • Guest_BrandonV_*

Posted July 01, 2004 - 07:05 AM

Ive had this nagging feeling ever since I heard about the soft keystock Yamaha used for the counterbalancer drive gear, I feel like its a ticking timebomb.

What do I need in order to replace this with some hardened stock?
Where can I get hardened stock and what size will be needed?

Feel free to give me any tips that may come in handy.
Thx

• tool

Posted July 01, 2004 - 11:42 AM

why not just replace it with a stock key? :thumbsup: either way you go your gonna have to replace it on a regular basis. i had to get a new crank cuz of that key, and i still think the stock key is best. but, i will use 2-3 stock keys a year. :devil:
dont you think they made the key soft like that for a reason? maybe instead of the keyway on the crank breaking, the key will compress and deform. to a point, of course.
ill use the stock key, they are $1 and easy to swap.

• Guest_BrandonV_*

Posted July 01, 2004 - 11:50 AM

I actually dont have any problems right now (knock on wood) I'm just thinking about preventative maintenence. I've always believed the soft, stock keys were too soft and short for this use. But then again, I could be wrong :thumbsup:

• x654

Posted July 02, 2004 - 07:40 PM

I've replace mine on 2000 yz426 3 times now with the stock, it is not a big job at all and real inexpensive...you will know when it needs it, it makes a real clear rattle noise at idle... can be repalced in an hour or so.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hedpi

Posted February 28, 2006 - 09:53 AM

can anyone show me what is the cb key? i mean in a diagram or something similar.
my '99yz400f is making a constant and loud ticking noise, which doesnt go away when you rev it and it may be that (as i read in various posts here) but i don't know what it is.

thanks in advance :thumbsup:

• 426_Texan

Posted February 28, 2006 - 07:07 PM

can anyone show me what is the cb key? i mean in a diagram or something similar.
my '99yz400f is making a constant and loud ticking noise, which doesnt go away when you rev it and it may be that (as i read in various posts here) but i don't know what it is.

thanks in advance :thumbsup:

part #18 under crank & piston
http://www.yamahaoft...tion_detail.asp

• shawnyboy446

Posted March 21, 2006 - 07:58 AM

Are U Guys Talking About The Key On The Crankshaft Or On The Counterbalance Shaft On 00 426???????

• grayracer513

Posted March 21, 2006 - 08:58 AM

part #18 under crank & piston
http://www.yamahaoft...tion_detail.asp

Actually, it's item #9. #18 is the flywheel key.

There was a TT'er who used to make his own keys by filing down a piece of oversized stock until it was a very snug fit. The theory was that the stock key fit too loosely and that that contributed to it being beat up so soon. It could just have been true for his bike, but it sounds reasonable.

• hedpi

Posted June 30, 2006 - 09:26 AM

is there a thread explaining with detail how to check/replace the key?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.