xr 650r3 talon hubs&excel rim info

10 replies to this topic
  • damo

Posted June 30, 2004 - 11:51 PM

HI guys has anyone put talon hubs&excel rims on their XR650R .If have do you have part numbers for big spokes&nipples bearing&seals&spacers front and rear,i have part numbers for hubs 56-013s rear&56-006s front.The rims are 56-5061 rear&56-001 front,any info thanked :cheers:damo

• BWB63

Posted July 01, 2004 - 10:56 AM

I thought I would save some money and go with RAD hubs with my Excel rims on my XR650R. I called told and bought them and while I was waiting for them to ship I asked on another group if this was a good hub and a good company. I got one answer and it was bad. I though well maybe I'll get lucky and it was a one shot bad deal.
--- Man I should of listen to you!!!!!Charles Statman!!!! I wanted to do a write up on the Rad hubs. They look real cool and are a better price then talon and easier to get but, the holes in the excel rims or the stock are to small for the nipples of there spokes. The nipples are for the excel rims for the MX bikes. When I ordered the spoke sets I told them what they were for.... a XR650R. Called to find out why this isn't told to the buyers, they said that they don't tell the buyers because they don't know what they have.....and that was after I told them what I was using it on and every detail of what I had...... told me to just drill your rims out and use duct tape insted of a rim band....I made sure I talked as nice as I could. There nipples are not flat the whole thing is wrong, leaving me with a mess. :thumbsup:( I should have listened! Maybe next time I won't give my money to a company that gave a group member a hard time. I already ordered them before I asked :devil:(
He (the owner) got real snotty when I asked if he could put something about differnt nipple hole sizes on the web page or ask the buyer so this whouldn't happen. Couldn't be done because they don't know what the buyer has and I should have bought my rims from them, then this wouldn't have happened. I wanted to save the $280 by doing it myself with the new excel rims I have here, my bad.......now I am going out to find a 8.5mm drill bit and something to cup the holes....so make sure what you get all matches up and you have the right spokes and nipples for the hub and rim you are going to use

• sunnymex

Posted July 01, 2004 - 11:40 AM

Hey there what's happening.

I ordered the Excel Talon combo. The spoke/nipple set is from White Bros and I will have them back to me next week. They sent the wrong ones the first time. If you can wait a week, I will get them to you then.

Patience is a virtue. If you can't wait call up Southbay Motosports and ask for Victor in the parts department. Tell him that you know Sunny and you need to know what the part numbers are for the White Bros spokes that I have on order with him. His number is 619 420 2300. Good guy and should be able to get you the info real quick.

Good luck and let me know how it works out.

• damo

Posted July 01, 2004 - 02:50 PM

Hey there what's happening.

I ordered the Excel Talon combo. The spoke/nipple set is from White Bros and I will have them back to me next week. They sent the wrong ones the first time. If you can wait a week, I will get them to you then.

Patience is a virtue. If you can't wait call up Southbay Motosports and ask for Victor in the parts department. Tell him that you know Sunny and you need to know what the part numbers are for the White Bros spokes that I have on order with him. His number is 619 420 2300. Good guy and should be able to get you the info real quick.

Good luck and let me know how it works out.

Thanks mate :thumbsup: im from australia ,if you could get me part numbers that would be great :thumbsup:what are the part no of your hubs front and rear.I want to use the silver hub,gold rim,gold nipples,silver spokes the big ones thanks alot for your help :cheers:Damo

• damo

Posted July 01, 2004 - 02:56 PM

I thought I would save some money and go with RAD hubs with my Excel rims on my XR650R. I called told and bought them and while I was waiting for them to ship I asked on another group if this was a good hub and a good company. I got one answer and it was bad. I though well maybe I'll get lucky and it was a one shot bad deal.
--- Man I should of listen to you!!!!!Charles Statman!!!! I wanted to do a write up on the Rad hubs. They look real cool and are a better price then talon and easier to get but, the holes in the excel rims or the stock are to small for the nipples of there spokes. The nipples are for the excel rims for the MX bikes. When I ordered the spoke sets I told them what they were for.... a XR650R. Called to find out why this isn't told to the buyers, they said that they don't tell the buyers because they don't know what they have.....and that was after I told them what I was using it on and every detail of what I had...... told me to just drill your rims out and use duct tape insted of a rim band....I made sure I talked as nice as I could. There nipples are not flat the whole thing is wrong, leaving me with a mess. :thumbsup:( I should have listened! Maybe next time I won't give my money to a company that gave a group member a hard time. I already ordered them before I asked :devil:(
He (the owner) got real snotty when I asked if he could put something about differnt nipple hole sizes on the web page or ask the buyer so this whouldn't happen. Couldn't be done because they don't know what the buyer has and I should have bought my rims from them, then this wouldn't have happened. I wanted to save the $280 by doing it myself with the new excel rims I have here, my bad.......now I am going out to find a 8.5mm drill bit and something to cup the holes....so make sure what you get all matches up and you have the right spokes and nipples for the hub and rim you are going to use

Thanks for the advive ill look into those hubs.Execellant engine mods i bet it goes hard have you had it on a dyno if so what RWHP did it pull :thumbsup:Damo :awww:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • EastCoastWheels

Posted July 01, 2004 - 03:07 PM

Gooday Damo... Been a long time since I was in Perth...
Here is your info:
FRONT
Silver hub #60-1006S
Gold 21" front rim 56-5001
Spoke kit 56-975 (2 needed)
Gold nipples 98-652

REAR
Silver hub 60-1013S
Gold 18" rim 56-5061
Spokes 56-980 & 56-983
Gold nipples 98-612

Hubs come with all bearings and spacers...

Jeff :thumbsup:

• BWB63

Posted July 01, 2004 - 03:14 PM

I am in the middle of lacing
the front, the back is done. It is hard enough buying hubs for the
XR650R without the trouble I am having. Lacing hubs is a piece of
cake but, after you get the first four spocke in it goes real fast....inless the nipples are different sizes and the spokes are not
bent the same it makes an easy job hard. I should of removed the first post
because I shouldn't tell a story before it's finished. Rad makes hubs
for the XR650R and they are one of two I know. I would and should
have waited till I was done for the Write up but, it just got worse.
The good thing is that they gave me 38 nipples for the 32 spoke rear
five were the right size,(8mm) 33 were to big (8.25~8.3). I scratched
two of these big ones, one wasn't to bad so, it works, after I
drilled out all the holes to 8.4mm. 37 nipples for the 36 spoke front
all the right size for the front or back. I thought the holes in the
rim were to small but, it was the nipples being to big and one is not
the same as the next. 35 spokes were given for the 32 spoke back, two
couldn't be used, yes they could be if I took the time to figure out
how to make them right, they are not normal spokes and don't bent the
same ether, they were bent way to sharp at the end to fit in the
hole. I was glad they send extra. 39 front spokes were given and I am
putting them in now. If you know all this before hand it makes the
hole thing workable but, when the tolerances are that far off or they
don't tell you the nipples are different sizes it can make one
frustrating BRP rider!

• irondude

Posted July 01, 2004 - 05:18 PM

just some other stuff to think about--the new DID dirtstar rims seem to be better than the Excells, but good luck finding them in our size...

Be VERY carefull when drilling the hubs out for 8+ mm holes--its critical the angle is correct, otherwise cracks will appear in the hub on the drive (rear) and brake (front) sides-as they have in mine! This resulted in catastrophic failure for team Honda at Glen Helen awhile back...

• damo

Posted July 02, 2004 - 12:53 AM

Gooday Damo... Been a long time since I was in Perth...
Here is your info:
FRONT
Silver hub #60-1006S
Gold 21" front rim 56-5001
Spoke kit 56-975 (2 needed)
Gold nipples 98-652

REAR
Silver hub 60-1013S
Gold 18" rim 56-5061
Spokes 56-980 & 56-983
Gold nipples 98-612

Hubs come with all bearings and spacers...

Jeff :thumbsup:

Jeff thanks you are a legand :awww: i have looked in your site and sent you a email :devil:
:cheers:Damo

• damo

Posted July 02, 2004 - 12:57 AM

just some other stuff to think about--the new DID dirtstar rims seem to be better than the Excells, but good luck finding them in our size...

Be VERY carefull when drilling the hubs out for 8+ mm holes--its critical the angle is correct, otherwise cracks will appear in the hub on the drive (rear) and brake (front) sides-as they have in mine! This resulted in catastrophic failure for team Honda at Glen Helen awhile back...

Thanks irondude for the info :thumbsup: is that your xr in the picture? if it is it looks awsome :devil:
:cheers:Damo

• EastCoastWheels

Posted July 02, 2004 - 01:55 PM

Send it to info@eastcoastwheels.com
Jeff

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.