WR400 as daily ride/motard

5 replies to this topic
  • nmilne

Posted June 30, 2004 - 10:00 PM

Hi all ..... just a quick question about whether you think a WR400 would be a good mount for a daily ride on the road ... main use is going to be commuting to work, cutting up traffic and providing "going to work" entertainment :thumbsup:

I was looking at a cheap TE610 Husky but the more enduro focussed nature of the bike put me off, and I'm wondering if the WR is in the same boat. Mainly worried about having a lot of servicing costs and effort required to cope with 250k's per week on the road (esp given its fairly small 1.1L sump capacity).

• gomopar440

Posted July 01, 2004 - 02:45 AM

That's exactly what I do with my WR now. I haven't seen anything that would make me think that any of the 4XX WR's would be a bad choice for what you're wanting to do. The 03's have their quirks with the woodruff/starter issues but it's all been fairly well resolved from a reliability standpoint.

• nmilne

Posted July 01, 2004 - 04:56 PM

Thanks for that .... can anyone enlighten me as to what the service intervals should be on the road? And what should be changed at this - just oil and 1 filter?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hamish

Posted July 01, 2004 - 11:08 PM

gearbox reliability will always be an issuse when used mainly on road, unless you fit a rear wheel that has a cush drive rubber. In Oz, all WR's are road registered and they have a warning sticker on them stating that the bikes arent inteded for road use. For the KM's you require you'd want to do the oil every 2 weeks, and the filter every 4 weeks.

• Brettv

Posted July 02, 2004 - 03:10 AM

is there any way to modify the rear to make a cush drive or would you have to buy a new wheel?

• Hamish

Posted July 02, 2004 - 11:15 AM

I'd guess you'd need a new hub, and you could lace it to your existing rim

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.