Bent Rim

3 replies to this topic
  • DJ426

Posted July 23, 2002 - 06:47 AM

I was in vegas over the weekend doing some seriouse trail riding and I guess I hit a rock and got a nice ding in my front rim. I am a newbie at this since I have not had a new bike in ten years. Is this normal. If so how many of you are riding on a slightly dinged rim and does it affect bike as far as holding air pressure. The tire did not go flat or anything. Do they make stronger rims and how much do they cost. Are there any good websites where I can get a new one instead of selling my first born at the dealer?

• CAL

Posted July 23, 2002 - 07:08 AM

I bent my front rim two weeks ago. It just pushed the rim out about 1/8"-1/4". It looks pretty bad, but hasn't affected anything yet. I haven't noticed any vibration or loss of air. I may try to take a rubber mallet and knock it back a little closer to original, but I'm not worried about it. The only company I know of that makes wheels is Excel. I think most fronts run about $150. Then you have to get the wheel laced. Most mail order companies carry Excel wheels...Rocky Mountain, Dennis Kirk, Chapparal.

I wish I had the money to go black, but I don't, so I'll ride with a bent rim.

[ July 23, 2002: Message edited by: CAL ]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • flyinguitars

Posted July 23, 2002 - 07:18 AM

I just (today) ordered a front excel rim from for 105.00. This is the old style (2001). they said that the new excel rims will require excel spokes/nipples, soon you wont be able to use your stock spokes and nipples. I hope this is not true.... I bend front rims about once a year.

• DJ426

Posted July 23, 2002 - 07:27 AM

Thanks cal & fly for the reply. Are the 2001 excell and the stock 2002's that come on the bike the same or do the 02 426's have the excell spokes and nipples. The ding is not very bad at all but I have it in my head that I want everything to look perfect. I just told myself it is a dirtbike it will get dings and scratches.

Related Content

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.