Parts counter people

13 replies to this topic
  • Slim_Chance

Posted July 22, 2002 - 07:23 PM

I spent 6 years behind the counter of Easy Living Yamaha in Rome Ga. I bailed out and went into law enforcement. What I have learned is that every one of us has hobbies. I trade ammo and reloading components to the current parts guy. What business are you in? Can you make this work for you? Barter can save you a bundle. Sure beats having an adversarial relationship with the parts guy.
Just a thought.

• moto_madman

Posted July 22, 2002 - 08:44 PM

I get along well with the local parts guy. He owns his own shop. The guy at the dealer isnt too bad either. The sales dudes really piss me off though. All they want to do is sell you whats on the showroom floor. I almost punched the last guy. He said the CRF was so fast it could walk all over a KX500. :)

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 23, 2002 - 03:26 AM

I have three shops to choose from, the nearest shop I rarely get anything fro the owner pissed me off when I was looking for a bike for my daughter. So screw them

The 2nd is a bit out of the way in the opposite direction and never have anything in stock its all special order.

The third is good its Gilroy, the parts chik is NICE :) , the parts dude rides a 426, and the mek-a-necks out back are pretty open to talk with and helpfull.

But Barter no way, I have tried everything I know to barter discount or whatever, no go buisness only.

I could not even talk the owner into a Network revamp for 15% off on Parts and a deal on a xr70
Bummer :D

• Yak

Posted July 23, 2002 - 05:33 AM

The Yamaha dealer where I live is a joke. They carry hardly any supplies, hardly any aftermarket parts, hardly any clothes, and they charge retail or above retail for everything. When I was in the 426 buying market, they quoted me $6850 OTD. Everyone that works there is a pro, if you know what I mean, even the hoe that is in charge of the helmets. She gave me a look like "what a cheap-skate" when I cringed after she told me she sells the shoei for $549. I asked her do you have anything a little cheaper but nice quality, and she proceeded to give me the "how much is your head worth" BullSh|t speech. They make the rich crowd feel like they are getting something special buying from them, they have a huge showroom with probably well over $1 Million+ in bikes and they advertise like no other. --- Id rather buy from mom and pop shops, and I did.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted July 23, 2002 - 06:52 AM

Im a mortgage broker, and I offered to refi a guys house for free, on his request, and all I wanted was a spare rear wheel and a scotts steering damper in return. So what were talkin about here is a 3000 dollar service for about 1000 in retail parts. The dumbass still has yet to move forward. The dumbest part of this deal, the shop guy would end up saving about 450 a month on his house payment for the next 25 years too. Some guys just cant see the forest for the trees.

• Slim_Chance

Posted July 23, 2002 - 07:00 AM

I suppose it helps that I trained the current parts guy. I kept in touch and we trade guns on occasion. Sometimes it doesn't work, and some parts people and mechanics are rude and arrogant. Gun shop people are worse. The minute they get behind the counter they become experts and start claiming all sorts of things from clairvoyance to being a member of special forces.
Chris

• bajafiend

Posted July 23, 2002 - 08:29 AM

Parts..... Fathead

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mikeolichney

Posted July 23, 2002 - 09:45 PM

In general the parts people are pretty good here. It seems like they are the ones I have the most contact with. Ended up becoming good friends with one, he always helps me out. Good rider too, he is going to ISDE next month.

However, at the same dealership you could also draw the woman who was once a man. I try to be open minded, but he/she/it was creepy. Anyone who would have their johnson lopped off so they could wear panties was not someone I wanted to ride with.

• Hokie

Posted July 23, 2002 - 09:53 PM

Originally posted by mikeolichney:
In general the parts people are pretty good here. It seems like they are the ones I have the most contact with. Ended up becoming good friends with one, he always helps me out. Good rider too, he is going to ISDE next month.

However, at the same dealership you could also draw the woman who was once a man. I try to be open minded, but he/she/it was creepy. Anyone who would have their johnson lopped off so they could wear panties was not someone I wanted to ride with.

Yeah, that dude/chick is FREAKY!
The ISDE dude is cool, hooks me up too!

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 23, 2002 - 09:55 PM

Oh man I know

I worked at Octel Communications for 8 years, we got bought out and destroyed by Lucent (Nick Nameed Lucifer)

Any hoot there was this Engineer, real smart guy 3 Phd's i am told. Anyway I worked with this guy for a few years in R&D. I go on vacation for two weeks come back my boss calls me in, Seems this guy went home of friday came back on Monday with two attorneys and a Mini Skirt. :)

So the law was written laugh, sniker, snear or any resemblance of a remark that he/it/sheit concidered harassment your fired no question....

Well to make a short story a little longer, this guy was built like Brick Poop House probably 300lbs no fat big dude.

When I saw it for the first time, It was wearing High heals a bright red skirt and a goad ugly stupid wig that would not stay on. I lost it right there, I just said dude / er uh mam straighten out your hair, it laughed I went geez lauisa I got to work with this freak today.

Any way this guy walked and looked like that old Bud Lite Commercial were the three guys kept trying to get into the bar as ladys.

Man I eventually just lost it with the freak and just asked him straight up "Whats Wrong with you"
He called me a Homaphobe and stomped off. Funny thing was he wasnt a man and he called me a homophobe ..

I just felt real bad for the gals when he would go in to the crapper and do his #2

• mikeolichney

Posted July 23, 2002 - 10:02 AM

Jeez, E.G.O. that is one funny story. I blew my pepsi out my nose reading it.

• yamaha426

Posted July 24, 2002 - 03:43 PM

Some of those dealers sound pretty bad. But I think that I've got you all beat. The dealer where I got my 426 is awesome, I couldn't ask for anything better. But they are 75 miles away. So today I asked my dad to go to a closer dealer and get an oil filter.....big mistake. When he went to the parts counter and asked for an oil filter for a 2002 YZ426 the guy told him he had no clue what he was talking about that he would go get the mechanic. When the mechanic got there he pointed out the filter and said that he changed them every day and that this was the right one. Well, it wasn't, not by a long shot. It was for the old fat cat bikes not a YZF. The worst part was that it wasn't even a Yamaha part it was an Emigo. I thought you went to a dealer to get Yamaha Genuine Parts.....guess not there. Luckily I called him to check on it and sent him to Snake River Yamaha to get the real part.

Sorry I just had to get that out.

• thumper4life

Posted July 24, 2002 - 04:46 PM

i just recently ordered two sprockets from my dealer. the part numbers for the sunstar steels go down the bottom right side of the left page and stop at 49 so he tells me that they dont make them any higher so then he tells me he will get stock yamaha type sprockets (i want steel) so he orders me a 51 and a 52 stock yamaha (aluminum) and then a day later tells me that he didnt look on the top of the next page and that they have 51 and 52 in steels. so he cancelled the first order and now ordered those and they wont be in intime for my race this weekend :)

my moral is: for simple junk like chains sprockets and plastic and other simple things that must be ordered, do it from say dennis kirk or rocky mountain, they will even come to your door, most likely for cheaper and you'll get the right thing about 96% of the time :D

• Grashopr

Posted July 25, 2002 - 08:04 PM

I have been into the local streetbike scene a bit heavier up until this year than I was the dirtbike scene, but the dealers fill both roles here in Topeka. The Yammy dealer is pretty much a joke when it comes to any yamaha parts. The only story I have that could possibly help visualize their lack of parts for our bikes is when I first got my 426, I went in to buy an aftermarket air filter. They had one of those Uni-Filter racks that rotates around and stands like 5 foot tall. There were probably close to 50 air filters on that rack. I went over to it and started looking around for a 426 filter....none. While I was looking, I noticed that there weren't many Yamaha filters at all...and after re-assessing the situation, I noticed that there weren't ANY Yamaha filters on the rack. They had an entire section of Arctic Cat filters (a brand that wasn't even sold in the area), but nothing for their own machines. So I figured that maybe they kept the Yammy stuff in back, or they wanted to sell stock parts...blah blah blah. So I went to the counter, and they said they don't stock parts like that. The conversation turned ugly when they said they don't stock sprockets or oil filters, either. Now I go to the local Honda or KTM dealer who ALWAYS have either aftermarket stuff that fits my 426 or they have even had some things that are stock Yammy stuff (oil filters). Bottom Line...Yammy in T-town has a ways to go in inventory management.

The 'hopper'

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.