RIDING WITH ONE RADIATER

2 replies to this topic
  • tallfider

Posted June 30, 2004 - 11:45 AM

I recently went for a three day ride in northen quebec (aprox. 500 miles of various trails back and forth).
About half way through the first day i had a pretty bad fall in the middle of nowhere (which rarely happens to me).
After a few minutes to recompose myself and regain my thoughts, i was ready to proceed, my WR450 was`nt. The fall had damaged the left radiater which was badly leaking.
I thought it was the end of my outing; My ingenious friends thought otherwise.
They felt the bike could run on one radiater if they could remouve the dameged one and reconnect and/or block the various hoses left haging.
After considering and trying various options a ktm spark plug tool was used to bridge the two main hoses with tightly secured clamps. An extra hose had to be blocked off. We tried clamping a stick of wood in but the pressure forced the presstone through the pores. The rubber handle of a screw driver just about the right size was then tried and it worked perfectly.
The bike ran fine; It never leaked a drop of presstone and did`nt overheated for the next three days exept if i left it idling.
Hail to my friends Pierre and Real for this clever and succesfull operation :devil: :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • captain_S

Posted June 30, 2004 - 11:55 AM

Glad to see you managed to improvise and keep it runnin!,10/10 for your will to go on!,do a web serch for some crd rad guards,smooth!.

• GPS Dual Sport

Posted July 01, 2004 - 10:02 AM

This same trick was performed 2 years ago above 11,000 ft on a wounded Honda XR650 in Colorado. The bike ran fine and didn't overheat as long as it kept moving.
I can confirm that a tree branch is not a suitable plug for a radiator hose.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.