Have a question Sort of a what would you do?

7 replies to this topic
  • John_Lorenz

Posted July 22, 2002 - 08:46 AM

Lost the Pilot Screw set from beast. Parts are in want to ride real bad Tuesday.

Not enough time to take carb apart and clean.

Knowing that you rode a few hours in dusty conditions with a missing screw (I know Ego, You always have a screw loose OkOk ther I set myself up)

What would you do?
1: Place the Air Screw set in, clean filter and ride
2: Take time,Clean Carb & Filter to be safe

Geez after reading my own post what a lame duck,

Clean the dang Carb dim wad there is always another day

[ July 22, 2002: Message edited by: E.G.O.**** ]

• yznvegas

Posted July 22, 2002 - 09:00 PM

Ride it, the worst that could happen has already occured. The worst that you will see maybe is a loss of performance if one of the jets has dirt in it. You might want to change the oil just to make sure you get any little dirt goblins that snuck in already.

• BigDesto

Posted July 22, 2002 - 10:53 AM

I agree with Vegas! If any got in- it's in! Hopefully it was fine dust,not dirt being roosted on you with little tiny pebbles.In and Out it went,unless you clogged a jet,then you need to tear apart the carb.I would replace the air screw and ride! :)

• Uncle_Rich

Posted July 22, 2002 - 10:58 AM

Well let me think

How much does it cost to clean the carb ?
How much does it cost to rebuild the motor ?

How much time does it take to clean the carb ?
How much time does it take to rebuild the motor ?

I would probably ride but I would advise against it

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mark_Cantrell

Posted July 22, 2002 - 11:47 AM

The shot from the fuel screw to the bore of the carb is less than 1" long. Before you put the new screw in, use the plastic tube and blow carb cleaner up it. Then ride it.

If your fuel screw isn't in yet, ride it like it is and it will be lean (yes lean, lets air in). Plug the hole (whittle a dowel or use duct tape) and it'll be lean. But not much in either case. Run it without is better than not running at all.

Good luck,

• Shawn_Mc

Posted July 22, 2002 - 12:50 PM

Ego, youve got plenty of time. Go clean the carb, put the screw back. I dont thing the dust that may have entered could hur the motor, simply because of the size of the pilot passages are so small that the particulates arent big enough to hurt anything. Most likely, iit will run like crap because the pilot passages is dirty.

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 23, 2002 - 02:22 AM

I hate being a perfectionist :)

after looking the posts over I decided to just do what my gut and experiance tells me

Hey! there are other Tuesdays coming, I will take my daughter out to the hills today instead.

Thanks for the advice and help

Mucho Appreciato Amigo's

[ July 23, 2002: Message edited by: E.G.O.**** ]

• Uncle_Rich

Posted July 25, 2002 - 12:09 PM

Hey E.G.O.****
Its not a crime to be a stright white guy
it just makes us a minority

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.