3 replies to this topic
  • gotdurt

Posted June 30, 2004 - 07:31 AM

Since I have the header off the bike, I thought I'd go ahead and grind the weld down where it enters the head, like I've heard suggested for the 650L (and other XR's)so many times. Have any of you done this? It's a pretty thick weld, How far down can you grind it without it getting too thin? What did you use to grind it? Any tips?

• XR650L_Dave

Posted June 30, 2004 - 10:11 AM

On my 2001 XR650L there was no occlusion at the headpipe inlet at all. Do you have an L with a sloppy weld?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gotdurt

Posted June 30, 2004 - 10:17 AM

Not so sloppy as thick.I would say that 35-40% of the pipe ID is blocked. I've read that this is common to XR's in general.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted July 01, 2004 - 06:59 AM

Wow. Mine has zero occlusion. Tuesday weld vs. fridy/monday weld, probably!

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.