XR650L jetting

10 replies to this topic
  • hubbapaul

Posted June 30, 2004 - 06:17 AM

I have a dyno-jet stage 1 jet kit and I drilled the slide holes to 5/32". Instead of shimming the needle can I just move it to the fourth position down? Isn't this the same thing as adding a shim?

• uw153

Posted June 30, 2004 - 08:48 AM

Check my sig. The fourth position will be a little leaner, I think you'll be happier in the middle postion or third one down.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted June 30, 2004 - 10:15 AM

Keihin jets and the stock needle shimmed work better than the dyno-jet kit.
The DJ kit is better than stock, but this way is better than the DJ kit.
I've run both ways.

• hubbapaul

Posted July 02, 2004 - 07:40 PM

Thanks, the third one down has a lot less hesitation when I hit the throttle, thanks.

• hubbapaul

Posted July 02, 2004 - 07:44 PM

Did you put the stock jet back in the carb or did you buy and install a keihn 165 jet. Does it make a big enough difference to buy and install the keihn stuff or is it a not that noticable improvment and where did you find a washer that was snug around the needle, radio shack didn't have any.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • uw153

Posted July 03, 2004 - 02:52 AM

I used the Dynojet 165 that came with the kit. From what I have read the Kehin 158 is about the same as the Dynojet 165. There is some inconsistancies between manufacturers I suppose. XR_Dave is right though, I have read many reivews on the subject and just modifying the stock is the way to go but since you already have the Dynojet kit, I thought you might want to know which works best. I wouldn't use the 165 unless you do have an aftermarket pipe though. The stock will be too rich with the 165. :thumbsup:

• POBLondon

Posted July 03, 2004 - 03:31 AM

This is my bike, as tested. I have ended up with pretty much a totally custom setup, but it works reqlly well. Even on Michelin Deserts with luggage I'm getting 22kpl economy and the power's great.

Click here for my latest XRL dynochart (number 5!)

• MotoChris521

Posted July 04, 2004 - 02:25 AM

I used the Dynojet 165 that came with the kit. From what I have read the Kehin 158 is about the same as the Dynojet 165. There is some inconsistancies between manufacturers I suppose. XR_Dave is right though, I have read many reivews on the subject and just modifying the stock is the way to go but since you already have the Dynojet kit, I thought you might want to know which works best. I wouldn't use the 165 unless you do have an aftermarket pipe though. The stock will be too rich with the 165. :devil:

Hey uw, how do you like your "Q". I'd like to "quiet" my L down a bit(pro-circuit t-4).Is the power significantly more than stock ? :thumbsup:

• uw153

Posted July 05, 2004 - 04:35 AM

I have the old 98db version of the Q and like it ok. It definately chokes it a bit witht the "quiet" insert in the end but without it it's as loud as the power core 4. I would like to try the new 96db version but the cost doesn't outweigh the sound right now. That being sade it is quiet enough not to anoy folks around me. I wish I new what db I really had. Mine is due for a repack though. Power increase over stock was better off idle response and more top end. But it was a bit louder too.

• BrackneyC

Posted July 05, 2004 - 09:18 AM

Hey UW, this is the Rock Island connection. I am going to shoot for the re-jet this weekend. What does your schedule look like?

• uw153

Posted July 09, 2004 - 02:09 AM

Hey there Brackney, did you get my PM.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.