Ring Nut Wrench

8 replies to this topic
  • Fryboy

Posted July 22, 2002 - 06:16 AM

Hi everyone,

I am going to finally install my steering damper/triple clamp/pro-tapers today. While I have the bike tore down I am going to lube my steering head bearings.

My question is:
Do I need to purchase Yamaha's ring nut wrench or have you gotten creative and have an alternative?

Can I buy any ring nut wrench or what?

Thanks for any help you can give me
Dave

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 22, 2002 - 06:25 AM

I know I am gonna get flamed for this

I bought the Yamaha Wrench,
I just replaced the races and bearings in me head :)

Since I did that I wanted to make sure they were seated and torqued to specifications. Once they were torqued correctly Per the manual one can tighten the ring nut by feel.

My basic rule of thumb is this

I always use the wrench Thats just me.

I would think there are cheaper alternatives though (AfterMarket)

[ July 22, 2002: Message edited by: E.G.O.**** ]

• sirthumpalot

Posted July 22, 2002 - 06:27 AM

I tried to buy the yamaha wrench,but no dealer could get it for me. :) Anyway I ended up with a $15 set of spanner wrenches from Harbor Freight (they have a web site, check harborfreight.com but I'm not sure that's it). You cannot connect to a torque wrench, but at least I could get a wrench!

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 22, 2002 - 06:29 AM

SirThumpy
Curious, why no torque wrench connection?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wyatt

Posted July 22, 2002 - 06:56 AM

I'm sure that I will get flammed for this also.

I use a large pair of channel lock pliers. I tighten the nut by feel, just as I would a wheel bearing with a tappered roller. I seat the bearing and then back it off and re tighten. The important point is to have the bearing held securely in its race, but not too tight to bind. I simply think that I can do this by feel and I don't need a torque wrench in this particular situation. If I had the special wrench I would use it. I'm not against it. I just don't have one, and don't feel the need to buy one.

It is not the most precise way in the world, but its my way.

• Bambislayer

Posted July 22, 2002 - 07:25 AM

Vise-Grips by feel for me.

• sirthumpalot

Posted July 22, 2002 - 07:26 AM

EGO, it's not a wrench like a crows foot type of wrench or anything, it's actually a stand alone wrench with a handle and everything. It actually has a hinge in the middle so that it can work on a range of sizes. Here's the kit:

http://www.harborfre...temnumber=41243

Please note that I have not had to use it yet, but the sizes look correct and someone else here recommended them to me so I took their word that they work well.

• John_Lorenz

Posted July 22, 2002 - 08:18 AM

So cool
just ordered me a set

Hey any tool is a good tool

• skthom2320

Posted July 22, 2002 - 08:24 AM

Originally posted by Wyatt:
I'm sure that I will get flammed for this also.

I use a large pair of channel lock pliers. I tighten the nut by feel, just as I would a wheel bearing with a tappered roller. I seat the bearing and then back it off and re tighten. The important point is to have the bearing held securely in its race, but not too tight to bind. I simply think that I can do this by feel and I don't need a torque wrench in this particular situation. If I had the special wrench I would use it. I'm not against it. I just don't have one, and don't feel the need to buy one.

It is not the most precise way in the world, but its my way.

I do the same thing.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.