Valve shim Calculations

5 replies to this topic
  • SteadyEddy

Posted June 30, 2004 - 03:09 AM

Hello all,
Just working on my friends KLX and were doing the shims, and were trying to work out the new shims required. I tryed to compare it to the WR manual but doesnt go high enough, and the specs are different. Found this on the web, what do you think?

Existing shim + Existing gap – required gap = required shim

1.75 + 0.05 - 0.20 = 160

• TallBoysWRF

Posted June 30, 2004 - 06:45 AM

make sure that you are using the same units ie mm/in. Your equation seems to be correct if I'm thinking correctly, but think of it like this just in case: Take the gap you have, and find the difference of that and the spec (use the larger outside spec). That is how much you need to reduce the shim thickness by.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

• Guest_dsornot2ds_*

Posted June 30, 2004 - 07:50 AM

Make sure you get a metric micrometer also and measure the new shims. I have a mechanic bud who had a problem with shims bought from Honda that were out of spec. Double check with a micrometer before you leave the dealership.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SteadyEddy

Posted June 30, 2004 - 11:30 AM

Cheers, thanks guys, There now with in spec :thumbsup:

• mtrablue

Posted June 30, 2004 - 01:09 PM

a simple conversion if you have an "english" micrometer only.

english to metric; dimension found times 25.4
example; .312 X 25.4 = 7.9248MM

metric to english; dimension found divided by 25.4
10(MM)divided by 25.4 = .3937 inches

• John_H

Posted June 30, 2004 - 03:51 PM

BTW, I did buy a micrometer and check my shims when I adjusted my valves.

I used google for the conversion. Just type what you want to convert in the search bar and it'll do it.

Example: 1.75 mm to inches

Works great :thumbsup:

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.