Anybody ever hired somebody to build a track for them?

11 replies to this topic
  • kfrosty

Posted July 22, 2002 - 04:49 AM

I'm kind of partners on the side with a friend who is in the grading business. I gave him some money to use his equipment and I'm just about finished building my 2nd track. I like doing it so much I'm thinking about doing it on the side. I just need to figure out how much people charge for doing this.

Of course it'll be dependent on the state of the land and whether dirt has to be hauled in.

However, has anybody or someone they know hired anybody to build a track for them? If so, can you post what type of track it was. (Outdoor type, arenax or superx) Did they have to haul dirt in? How many jumps etc. And what was the cost?

Thanks.

• Guest__*

Posted July 22, 2002 - 05:15 AM

I know aguy the track is outdoor type it is:

60 yard start left turn to a kicker streight right turn 40 yards lest turn 20 foot double 50 yard streight kicker in the left turn streight to a fly away left turn small 10 foot double to a right turn to a big 40 + double right turn 40 yards of whoops left to a 40 foot table top the ur at the home streach.

the track is kinda small but it to about 60 dump truck loads or more. but he didnt pay anyone but for a track like that i would pay 1500 to 2400.

What does ur tracks look like?

• kfrosty

Posted July 22, 2002 - 05:29 AM

One is on about 3 acres. Uphill double (40ft), right hander, down hill triple (5? ft), Sweeping left, left, sweeping left, uphill double (45ft) Right hand, left hander, right hander, Down hill jump, whoops, tight right hander into a close double, Right hander quads in a corner. (Double -double) Down hill into a right hander then set of whoops. About a 40 sec to a minute lap time.

My larger track I'm working on is on about 5 acres. Hopefully about 1:30 to 1:45 lap times. It'll have 5 sets of doubles. One rythm section and two skimming whoops sections. About a 50ft table top.

60 loads of dirt huh? Are these tandems loads? Around here you're looking at $70 a load for good red clay and that's if you don't have to haul it more than 5 miles or so.

Of course for equipment time sounds like what you described would run take about 12 to 16 hours on cleared land. That could be profitable without hauling the dirt. Course if your friend had the dirt on his on land and they just moved it, that's a different story.

Thanks for the input!!!

• Mark_Cantrell

Posted July 22, 2002 - 11:05 AM

Hauling dirt? Instead ask, "Where do you want the pond?"

Good luck,
mwc

• evl2evil

Posted July 22, 2002 - 12:06 PM

Hey Mark, a pond would be a good idea.Once it's full you've got a free supply of water to water the track down with and cool off after riding.BTW when are we going riding again?i'm ready whenever you are just let me know.

• groundhog

Posted July 23, 2002 - 02:18 AM

I used to be in the excavation business. I built 2 tracks during that time. Some things I discovered along the way;

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • groundhog

Posted July 23, 2002 - 02:33 AM

I used to be in the excavation business. I built 2 tracks during that time. Some things I discovered along the way; You can usually get enough dirt at the site if you (or the owner)are willing to lower the existing ground level and totally re-countour the area. Make sure you provide good drainage. On one track we used wood chips that were available from a tree trimming place almost free. We used a farm disk to mix the chips with the dirt after the main dirt work was done. The chips help keep the track from packing too tight over time. A 50% sand mix in the top 8 to 10 inches would work too. Both tracks were private outdoor mx practice tracks. We used a loader, small dozer and a skid steer loader to build them. If you need fill, look for other excavation going on around you. A lot of times (like diging basements) I was looking for places to get rid of fill.

• Mark_Cantrell

Posted July 23, 2002 - 05:33 AM

Evl,

My summer opens up after the first weekend in August. Then after the 19th, I will be done working nights and can ride after work too. Soon.

mwc

• kfrosty

Posted July 23, 2002 - 05:41 AM

Thanks groundhog.

Had a dump truck break down yesterday so I hoped on the D4 and started skimming dirt off the top the ground before and after the jumps. Ended up digging about 5 to 7 inches down to get all the dirt I needed. Then bladed the edges and you can't really tell I went down at all.

Pond is another good idea. The only thing I could see hauling dirt for is table tops. But I saved dirt by just making doubles with a small table top like landing for safety.

So it looks like I can do what I need to do with just a dozer and a skidsteer for the whoops.

Thanks again Groundhog! Seems like a decent size track I can turn out in approx 2 to 3 days. Do you mind my asking what you charged. There are two reasons I'm thinking about doing it.

1) I like doing it.
2) Have heard rumors of people getting tracks built around here and paying obscene amounts of money. If that's the case I would like to do it to where I can make a small profit but help others around here afford to have places to ride.

Thanks again Groundhog!!!

• Mark_Cantrell

Posted July 23, 2002 - 06:37 AM

Groundhog,

When building jumps, especially the faces, how do you compact them. Do you water or disk/blade to control moisture? If you do, do you test the soil or do it by feel? Do you just compact with a skidsteer or dozer or do you sheepsfoot it?

Just wondering how you make good hard jump faces and whoops. In '74-'78 had to take dirt and road courses in Civil Engineering and don't remember details and don't know applicability here.

Thanks,
mwc

• groundhog

Posted July 25, 2002 - 01:35 AM

kfrosty,
We usually charged by the hour(operating hour). If I remember right (this has been about 7 years ago) I used a Fiat FD7 dozer (D4 size) which was $50/hr. The Bobcat was about $35/hr. plus transportation time. A days work for both brought the totals up to around $1,000 or so. When doing work this way (time and materials) I would usually give a guarnteed ceiling price. If I quoted a straight price I would figure what I estimated the hourly price to be and pad that about 50% 'cause something always happens you didn't expect. That also made the time & materials price more attractive to the customer - which guarnteed that I wouldn't come out short!

As for compaction, first be sure not to use the top soil - it will not compact very well. The dirt where I built these (West Virginia) was fairly moist so it compacted very good. If your dirt is dry you might have to add water (run a lawn sprinkler while you work). We built the jumps just like you would a small pond dam. Put a foot or so of soil where you want it and track it in with the dozer. Just go back & forth moving right to left until you get it all tracked, another layer of dirt, pack again.

There is a book called "Moving The Earth". It has been revised for about 70 years. It is a very good source of rules of thumb, how to's etc. See if your library has it - it is about $80.

Good luck

• idaho426

Posted July 25, 2002 - 07:50 AM

Groundhog,
Do you ever ride lake channel in A.F.? Lets go.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.