4 speed to a 5 speed

9 replies to this topic
  • yzf450jack

Posted June 29, 2004 - 07:20 PM

The WR 5 speed went right in my yz 450 :thumbsup: 4 speed is for sale perfect shape $300.00 OBO.all the gears,shafts.drum,forks I can Email picture's of them jinx7@earthlink.net :devil:

• ovrrdrive

Posted June 29, 2004 - 10:43 PM

Did you change the whole transmission or just the innards?

Also, where did you get the parts and for how much?

I really want to do this... I wanted a Wr but got such a great deal on the YZ it was worth it to me. All I really wanted was the transmission too...

• revolucien

Posted June 30, 2004 - 06:22 AM

how is it running? shifting smooth?

• eazrider

Posted June 30, 2004 - 11:19 AM

I picked up my '04 YZ450 last Nov. and have been living with the 4 spd since. I decided I was going to have to sell my YZ with that beautiful motor, cuz' the tranny was not broadband enough for kind of riding I do. At the Desert Mt. Enduro this year, I spoke with Ty Davis and his mechanic about the gearbox issue, and was told Ty uses an '04 WR tranny....straight drop in. I stepped up to the counter and purchased a new tranny...shafts, gears, shift forks and shift drum. I have had other projects get in the way, but should get around to installing it within the next several weeks or so...I will post when I am done. Cost? About 650 big ones...

• ovrrdrive

Posted June 30, 2004 - 02:53 PM

Ouch! Hopefully you can get $300 or so for the used YZ tranny when you're done. Ths is definitely something I'm going to consider doing someday.

I don't suppose you'd take a buttload of pics and post them up when you do it would you?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yzf450jack

Posted June 30, 2004 - 04:39 PM

I just put it together last night im not finished yet The cylinder is out getting bored 2mm 470cc :thumbsup: it will be mean trail bike and it is more like $750.00 for the gear change over :devil:

• endurodog

Posted June 30, 2004 - 06:05 PM

eazrider and yzjack this is great news. From everything I read on here before I thought it could only be done with the help of a machine shop and lots of $$$$. Let us all know how it works out.

• grayracer513

Posted June 30, 2004 - 06:31 PM

Hey, Jack :thumbsup:

Got it together, cool. Let us know how you like it once you get the engine running. $700 is about half what I would have guessed.

re: eurodog: "From everything I read on here before I thought it could only be done with the help of a machine shop and lots of $$$$."

That thread involved using the trans from a YZ426, rather than a WR450. The object was probably to use the closer ratio box, since the bike being built was for SuperMoto.

Can't wait to hear the ride report.

• SFO

Posted June 30, 2004 - 07:24 PM

Actually we fitted the 400 trans as it is the closest ratio gearset off all.
I heard from YRUS that there will be an 5th gear that works with the yz450trans but it will be a very limited availability, ie, race team only, but it still leaves the 1~4 oem ratios.

• tdd6405

Posted July 01, 2004 - 10:18 AM

instead of converting your yz450f bottom ends to the wr450 5 speed, one of you guys should just sell me your yz450f motor and buy a wr450 motor :awww: :devil: :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.