zerks

6 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 04, 2001 - 11:44 AM

Taffy,

Thank you for the pics. I've been planning on doing this for a long time. I have two questions. In the lower linkage you obviously had to drill the bolt, but do you have to put in a grease groove for the grease to follow? And does your chain ever hit the swingarm zerk?

Thanks
Nick

• Taffy

Posted June 04, 2001 - 09:32 PM

nick

no the chain doesn't hit the zerk, it's so close to the front sprocket that there isn't a lot of lateral movement. three or four rides so far so i think i can say with confidence it's ok.

as for the TWO bolts that have a zerk in their ends; all i did was grind out a trough with the edge of my workshop bench grinder. then drill a 3mm hole 1/8th". the grease comes through to between the two needle roller bearings & has no choice but to go past the needles to get to the seals & indicate that it is full of grease.

you'll note that in the second photo you can see a zerk on top of my brake lever!

i've only done one season of dirt biking so maybe someone could tell me whether this has all been a good idea?

finally, the grease nipple i didn't show you is the one on the right/top of the swingarm. this was drilled & tapped as mentioned, on the back edge of the little caste square you can see on the swingarm.

however after giving it the 'old what for' it has listed to stern by 20d (ie bang!). so for your reference i would drill the top right zerk half on & half off the back of that little caste square. that should do the trick.

i think if everyone feels that this has been worthwhile that bryan or bill could think of putting it up as an archive subject?

what do you think bill?

Taffy

• mcarp

Posted June 06, 2001 - 07:26 AM

I like the idea of zerks...as long as there's a place for the old grease to escape and the grease is actually replacing old stuff, not just slipping past the bearing/needle

Excellent idea! can you send me pics as well?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 06, 2001 - 11:11 AM

mcarp,

They are on the WR pictures page. I heard somewhere about people truning there seals around backwards so the grease excapes easier. Im not sure if this would work and Id think youd have to grease it a real lot, but that wouldnt be very time consuming w/ the zerks.

Nick

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 06, 2001 - 11:23 AM

Taffy,
My computer isn't finding the page that your picture page has the link to. Is it still up or is there a problem on my end?

------------------
Khris
When in doubt, GAS IT!
What are you, YELLOW?
If it's dirty, I do it and think it!!

• Taffy

Posted June 06, 2001 - 12:43 PM

sorry i don't know what's wrong at your end, i'm not clued up on all this sorry. all i can say is the obvious; you did click on the link at the top of the article didn't you?

Taffy

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 06, 2001 - 01:32 PM

That made me laugh Taffy! Yup I did. It's proabably a problem on my end. I'm hoping to do this Zerk stuff to mine this weekend when I have the rear apart to put on my TM Designworks Chain Slider.

------------------
Khris
When in doubt, GAS IT!
What are you, YELLOW?
If it's dirty, I do it and think it!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.