Shift lever help needed

6 replies to this topic
  • Ren92

Posted June 29, 2004 - 01:55 PM

I know this is a stupid question but I am stuck.Somehow I stripped out may shift lever last weekend and tried taking it off today.I took the bolt out but the lever wont slide off the shaft.Is there something I a missing here?

• 426_Texan

Posted June 29, 2004 - 02:42 PM

get a flat head screw driver and pry it open some more...a good dose of WD-40 will also help.

• Ren92

Posted June 29, 2004 - 02:47 PM

Thanks. :thumbsup: Thats what I was doing but for some reason I couldn't get it off,so I figured before a screw something up I better ask to be sure.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Scooter426

Posted June 29, 2004 - 03:10 PM

after you get it off throw it away and get an aftermarket Moose lever. It is made of STEEL (the same material as the shaft it is mounted to). You will never replace it again. In my opinion, this is a terrible place to save a few ounces by using aluminum.

• Hamish

Posted June 30, 2004 - 12:25 AM

In my opinion, this is a terrible place to save a few ounces by using aluminum.

I look at the other way.... I'd sooner trash the spline on the alloy gear lever then damage the spline on the shaft. Just finished doing a 'cut and shut' job on the YZ250's gear shaft.

• Scooter426

Posted June 30, 2004 - 09:25 AM

I have not replaced a spline or a lever since I switched to this setup 4 years ago. I very regularly replaced aluminum levers before (2-4 per season)....

I guess I am hard on the downshifts!

• crf450f

Posted June 30, 2004 - 10:57 AM

I would suggest replacing it with a aluminum one.
Notice how the splines on the bad shifter are stripped only on the shifter, not on the shaft. Beleive me, you don't want the shaft splines to round off putting a steel one on. The reason why is probably broke, the bolt got loose. Put some lock tight on the new one, and torque it down to proper specs. It will last a longet time. :thumbsup: :devil: :awww:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.