dual sport

5 replies to this topic
  • yamaman

Posted July 21, 2002 - 04:24 PM

im thinking about converting my bike into a dual sport. i wanted to know if you need a letter from the manufaucter to approve of the conversion. or to have proof of it.

• yamaman

Posted July 21, 2002 - 04:26 PM

i also wanted toknow if u can get them certified with knobby tires.
thanks a lot guys

• dhowell

Posted July 22, 2002 - 03:16 AM

I had tagged yz about a year ago so that I could ride it to the trails. In Maryland you just need the title, which is actually a certificate of purchase if I remember correctly (either way it states for off-road use only) and a verification from an inspection center stating that your bike passes the state requirements. Check with your states motor vehicles, they will be able to tell you what paperwork you will need and an inspection station will be able to tell you the min requirements needed to get your bike to pass inspection. Just as a not, I would find a gas station or something that does inspections not a bike shop. The bike shops I checked look a little harder at your bike so that they can try to get some more money out of you.

Good luck!

PS I don't know that I would do it again.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • freestyle111

Posted July 22, 2002 - 03:43 AM

ask your mom to write you a note stating bike is street legal. then go to dmv give note to person at registration window and tell them to you what license plate.when they see note from your mommy they wont even argue with you.who knows they might even give extra plate for that knobby you want certified :)

• yamaman

Posted July 22, 2002 - 07:38 AM

thanks for the help dhowell.
and freestyle wat is the point of yor response that is useless.

• YamaMoto

Posted July 23, 2002 - 08:23 AM

Yamaman, is it a green sticker or red sticker? If its a green sticker you should be able to dual sport it in CA. after a lighting kit install, having it signed off by an approved light tech, signing some paperwork, and giving the DMV some more of your money. I can give you all the details. If its a red sticker I think your only choice would be an out of state registration.

Related Content

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.