Valve clearance check?

3 replies to this topic
  • cortez450

Posted June 29, 2004 - 09:08 AM

How long should I ride before I need to do a complete check on the valve clearance? I bought the 450 new the first part of may and have about 25-30hrs on it. I bought this bike because of the reliability issue. I have been a 2stroker for years and been able to do most of the work myself, but I have to admit that this thing scares me to work on!! I just want to keep it in the best shape possible. I don't have problems with the jetting, that is not to bad. But engine work on a thumper is a little intimidating!! Should I not worry about it and just keep the engine oil, oil filter, and air filter fresh? :thumbsup:

• Maddog542

Posted June 29, 2004 - 09:13 AM

Big 10-4 on that Cortez! :awww: I read in the manual where; as I recall, it says "every 3 races" check the valves. :devil: Now running valves on a pushrod V-8 drag racing engine is old hat to me, but this OHC stuff spooks me a tad also. :thumbsup: Of course I want to maintain the bike well, but tearing into it once a month to check valvers seems like overkill.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Merfman

Posted June 29, 2004 - 09:17 AM

YMMV, but I've checked the valves on my '01 YZ426 probably 8-12 times and they've never needed adjustment. I just checked the valves on my '04WR450 and they're already out of adjustment (.002 out) after around 800 miles.

Merf

• cortez450

Posted June 29, 2004 - 09:21 AM

I think it is overkill also. But these bikes cost enough that maint. is important!!! I live in a different terrain mecka so like I said jetting is not an issue..... But there is more to a YZ Beast than meets the eye! :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.