Scotts Damper Install.... HELP !!!!

4 replies to this topic
  • Fryboy

Posted July 22, 2002 - 02:08 PM

Hi Everyone,

I just spent the last couple hours tearing my bike down, lubing steering head bearings.

My problem is with the bolt on bracket for damper. After getting everything installed - damper/triple clamps/pro - tapers the braket keeps turning when I am testing the damper. I backed out both cinch bolts and re-tightened again! The bracket is still not stable. If I turn the damper up to 8 clicks, when turning handlebars fast the bracket moves.

The bracket does slide down flush with top of steering stem. No filing was necessary. What am I doing wrong ? Are these little cinch bolts just plain inadequate ?

Ohhh gee I suppose I should call scotts. But they are already closed !

I figure what the hay, you guys know as much as them anyway.

Thanks,
Dave

• Hick

Posted July 22, 2002 - 05:43 PM

If it is truly flush and no grinding/filing was needed, and yet it still rotates I don't know what the problem could be.

When you say it slides down flush with the steering stem, don't you mean head tube or frame?

Did it work before? Are you installing it for the first time? Did you completely collapse the pinch fitting by tightening the allen bolt all the way? Is the bracket riding on the dust seal?

Mine only has one pinch bolt by the way, so maybe they sent you the wrong bracket.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fryboy

Posted July 22, 2002 - 05:53 PM

Hi Hick,

This is the first time installation.

I did mean flush with the head tube/frame.

I tried it one more time and it appears to be stable. I don't have confidence it will stay put though. Especially when I turn it up - more damping.

Dave

• Fryboy

Posted July 22, 2002 - 05:57 PM

Hick,

My bracket looks like this one:

http://www.thumperta...f=3&t=008493&p=

It fits just like Yamakaze's

Dave

• Hick

Posted July 22, 2002 - 06:26 PM

Originally posted by Fryboy:
Hick,

My bracket looks like this one:

Hmm. New design. Mine w/ only one bolt has never given me trouble on my '00 or my '01, but on the former I had to spend about ten minutes with a dremel getting some paint and a small amount of metal off one side of the top tube-to-frame gusset/weld to get it snug.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.