Adjusting the Edelbrock

6 replies to this topic
  • husky123

Posted June 29, 2004 - 05:19 AM

Owners of the Edelbrock Quicksilver II carbs:

Did you guys find that the carb came adjusted pretty well out of the box (besides idle)for an uncorked 650R? Or did it take some fiddling? Also, did you leave the adjustment tool on top of the carb or take it off? Thanks!!! Lee

• qadsan

Posted June 29, 2004 - 06:12 AM

You may have to do some adjusting for optimal performance, but it should run well right out of the box the way its setup if you bought it from Barnums. Most folks leave the adjustment tool installed all the time. Just install it the way you get it and don't forget to turn up the idle enough, then she should fire right up in a kick or two.

• big t

Posted June 29, 2004 - 06:54 PM

I left my adjustment tool on. The carb came very close to being adjusted. It was a little lean and I had a hard time starting mine but I had the idle way to high. Backed off the idle and richened the needle a few clicks and it was good to go.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jws

Posted June 30, 2004 - 02:02 AM

Did you guys find that the carb came adjusted pretty well out of the box (besides idle)for an uncorked 650R? Or did it take some fiddling? Also, did you leave the adjustment tool on top of the carb or take it off? Thanks!!! Lee

i got my carb from rob barnum - it came with the 19 needle, 18 clicks from full rich and 2 turns out on the pump - after playing with it for a day or 2 i have it set up - 19 needle 12 clicks from full rich and 1 1/2 turns out on the pump (like the spec sheet that came with the carb says?) my bike is uncorked, HRC tip, holes in the airbox with a uni filter - she runs like a raped ape now - i just wish i would of put the carb on when i first bought the bike

i left the adjustment tool on also.

jeff :thumbsup:

• husky123

Posted June 30, 2004 - 07:26 AM

Thanks for all the input guys...good stuff. Just put it on yesterday. Initially I had trouble starting it but that was because the idle was too low. I'm officially a believer now! It's only taken me four years. That carb flat rocks! I can't believe how much "smoother" it makes everything. No more delay, hiccups, burps or protests like the stocker. Not to mention throttle pull is much better. 2 blips 1 kick.

• mikekay

Posted July 09, 2004 - 02:58 PM

John-
I have been reading your posts about the edelbrock--i have had similar things happen. I found the little brass needle valve in the AP 'chamber' was sticking--and so little or no pumping...if i was you i would focus on that first. They do seem to wear a bit-so look at the pointed end of that little brass valve (it slides right out of the hollow chamber) and see what condition it is in. Any little wear marks? Dirt? etc.? Thats the area to focus on first.

For some weird reason i cant log onto the current 650/600 posts-and only on occasion onto the older posts--so i cant get to your current post about the carb-but wanted to try to help out...plus i am super pissed off at the Yahoo site right now and avoiding it!!!!!!!! (but we all know how i get this time of the month...:thumbsup: Maybe i am black balled from the current 650 forum?!

ANyway-get that brass valve moving smoothly up and down and your carb adjusted and it will run great. Try the 17,18,19 needles with all your engine mods!

-Mike

• JohnnyAirtime

Posted July 11, 2004 - 08:03 AM

Hey Mike...

I saw the posts on 650R forum... man, I was gonna chime in but decided to stay away. :thumbsup: Anyway, that little brass thingy is missing. :devil: No worries about it being worn :awww: I don't know how... or why... but I'll be ordering a new one on Monday.

Thanks for the help... I just happened to look on this thread and saw your post. Very cool of you! :lol: :D

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.